Cost plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would a plumber normally charge for replacing taps for my bath? I want to make sure I will not be over charged.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what he has to do. I charge £45 if you have a combi boiler or tap valves fitted, all I have to do is shut the main stopcock off or turn a couple of screws. About £50 if I have to turn your loft stopcock off. About £60 if you have no valves or stop cocks because I have to wait for your tank to drain. If you want a cheap job, tell him you'll shut the water off and take the bath panel off before he gets there. If customers tell me this I then charge £40. After all, we have to make a living too and time's money. I could probably book another job in for that day which reduces your costs and mine.

Sponsored Links
As a plumber myself that sounds more than reasonable. Don't forget plumbers have other costs i.e van purchase, diesel, van maintenance, van insurance, travelling time, tools, general insurance, subscriptions, accountants, time ordering parts/stock etc etc etc, thats before you even get there. When you think about it mate, we'd be better off filling shelves!

I have asked 3 plumbers to change my bath and basin taps. Quotes range from £145 to £220 pounds, all of which say it's a 2-3 hour job plus materials. Of course, that's excluding cash. Is this experience unique to London?

Seems like best option is to try and do it myself - as it will take me 3 days to earn enough money to pay the plumber for the 2-3 hour job!

Sadly yes,they can charges what they like as we are shortage of plumbers in this country!

Plumber's are earning a fortune in London area.

Have a go yourself and we'll help you as you go along.

I'm a bit late in putting my two pennyworth in but.......
A simple tap replacement is always in the realm of a competent diyer. Blimey its as simple as ABC. Even if you have to buy a special tool to get at the fixing nuts it has to be cheaper that getting a man in.
Sorry all you pros out there but blimey what a rip off..

correct charge for all those that carry out this sort of work £60 min for the first two hours £25 per hour after and thats reasonable If a job is aggro then uplift for patienced and consideration how high is up to the tradester.

masona said:
Sadly yes,they can charges what they like as we are shortage of plumbers in this country!

Plumber's are earning a fortune in London area.

Have a go yourself and we'll help you as you go along.

where how and when, seem to work all hours to pay, yellow pages, insurances, corgi, acs, diesel, tax, vat, stockists.

gets me down all this talk about 75,000 to 100,000 per annum I work ble...din hard and have never come close.

Plumbing is a terrible job long hours etc etc if I had my time again no way I would do this

Rant over I thank you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

corgiman said:
Plumbing is a terrible job long hours etc etc if I had my time again no way I would do this

Agreed with you 100%,this is probably why we are shortage of plumbers :!: I'm just glad I got out of my plumbing apprenticeship in the 1st year after listening from plumbers advice :!: My plumber mate is working in London earning good money (being at the right place at the right time) and good luck to him but his family are miserable because of no social life and worrying about his health,also he can't stop being greedy.I now have a lower paid job with better soical life and feel a lot happier ,I don't miss the money, as money isn't everything.
Most plumbers are now turning to do boiler servicing only to feel better.

Corgiman,it's not too late to get out and try something difference,it just having the guts to do it.

We only have one life so make the most of it ;)

just been doin a search for something, on previous topics i came across this, soz but i just have to get my tuppence worth in and say...
SHUT UP YOU BLEEDIN CRYERS.. jeez, never heard anything like it, 99% of the houses you are working in, the occupants would love to be as skillful and as well paid as a tradesman, instead they work the crappest jobs 24/7 to make ends meet.....and if thats bad, asda are taking on

BenStiller, please note 17 , this post was started in 2002

Thats odd, I only mention my name and the moderator edits it out or gives me warnings! Do you think he has something against me personally?

This question is in clear contravention of the stupid rules listed for this site whioch say dont ask "how much" yet the moderator has not locked it.

Clearly from all the comments its a very interesting topic and I think very relevant to DIY as the advantage of DIY has to be compared with the cost of a professional.

Since the advertising here produces an income that is increased with the number of visitors so why not allow topics of interest to a wide range of people?

Tony Glazier

Tony, you will notice this post was made by "guest, replied to by "guest" i understand that back then you could only post as "guest" which was obviously confusing.

The reason is , this post was started in 2002 i wasn't here then. (so that is why it wasn't locked), but since it has been replied................

Oh, and please note 17 ;)

I am also going to lock this post later

sorry B.O.B DOLE, i was waiting for Tony to read / reply, i must now lock this post as it was started 3 years ago i will also be "moving" it later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back