Removing Chimney Breast.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the early stages of planning a new kitchen. My house is c1910 and the room measures about 4m X 3m, but on one of the long walls there is a (disused) chimney breast about 1.2m wide and 0.5 deep (The same in the adjoining room)

I currently have a small cooker sitting in an enlarged opening with a recycling extractor above.

What I would really like to do is have the whole wall at the same depth (3m), with a range cooker sitting where the chimney breast is, and an extractor above venting up the chimney.

My question is: Is it possible to knock out the lower part of the chimney beast so that i have a flat wall up to about 2m, and then support the existing chimney breast above? and if so, how would this be acheived ?

Any replies gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is possible. You will need a structural bracket to support the breast above, this will need to be boxed in afterwards.

The last one i did was a triangular shape (specially made). I then vaulted new timbers and plasterboard around it.

cheltonian said:
Yes it is possible. You will need a structural bracket to support the breast above, this will need to be boxed in afterwards.

The last one i did was a triangular shape (specially made). I then vaulted new timbers and plasterboard around it.

Depending on span / direction and thickness of the existing joists it may also be possible to support the upper part of the chimney with a steel beam arrangement.

Triangular brackets arent the best option, supporting the breast on steels at first floor level or roof level are better options.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies fellas, at least now i know its feesable and I won't look silly when I get a builder 'round for a quote.

It sounds a bit complicated / expensive though, so how is this for a better idea: Remove the majority of the chimney breast (up to 2 metre height) except for the last column of bricks at one side. Then support an RSJ on this column and the wall (knock out a few bricks ?) on the far side of the room (2 metres long) of the room to support the rest of the chimney above. (on the other side of the column i only want my fridge anyway).

How does that sound. any ideas of cost for something like this ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back