New Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'m replacing a ceiling rose with 3 incoming cables (i.e. switch live and neutral and two further live and neutrals)to a spot light that only has a facility for a live, earth and neutral connection. When I join the switch live and neutral and the two other live to the live connection, the earth to earth and the remaining two neutral to neutral I have a wonderful effect - the light is permanently on!!! Help please?????

Sponsored Links
as you said "When I join the switch live and neutral and the two other live to the live connection" you have connected the switch wire and the lives to the light thats why it will not turn off.

this is how it should be

lamps.gif

It ****es me off that light manufacturers don't include a loop-in switch terminal system (as found in ceiling roses) in their units.

Rather than putting a terminal block in the new light to accept the non-switch live wires, I would put a junction box in the loft and run a single cable to the spotlight. I recommed using heat resistant cable as the metal housings of flush fitting ceiling lights get pretty hot.

I hope that the Wiring Regulations will be changed, so that light makers MUST put proper terminal connections in all fancy lights, for safetys sake.

Too many diy'ers simply twist the cores up and tape them together, very dangerous! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Breezer

I have the same problem as evie1. Replacing a ceiling rose with a spot light. I also had the permantly on effect. Your diagram doesn't make sense to me. Can you tell me exactly what wires from the ceiling rose configuration go into the spot light configuration which only has 3 spaces for Live, Neutral and Earth. The instructions that came with the light are absolutely useless and i spent 2 1/2 hours on saturday trying to sort it.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out here.

Cheers
:)

There are other diagrams in the For Reference topic, but they tell you the same as Breezers. They may have more artistic flair than his, but his is perfectly accurate.

Try the others - IIRC there is one which builds up to the fully connected rose in a number of steps, but I'm afraid that if you still don't understand how it all works, then you probably ought to get an electrician in.

Still - look on the bright side - permanently on light is better than the other thing that can happen if you mix up the connections from a ceiling rose, which is flashbangfusepop and no lights.....

agreed, if you can not follow a diagram, then i am sorry to say you should call in an electrician.

remeber this, electricity has no prejudices, it kills any one

we would like to see more posts from you on here

Millennium_Boy said:
I hope that the Wiring Regulations will be changed, so that light makers MUST put proper terminal connections in all fancy lights, for safetys sake

Or, even easier, why not just design the base of these lights so they are big enough to fit over the top of a rose. In many cases it would be a matter of a few millimetres to make the world a safer place!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back