Hole saws for spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Been looking at installing some spot lights in the kitchen.

Also buying some hole saws for this job and for

future DIY jobs. Does the cut out for the spots have to be the exact

size as stated on the lighting instructions as most hole saws dont

match the required size.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi Craig

This all depends on the depth of the rim of the spot light. Some lights have deep rims so the hole does not have to be spot on, but within mm .. Electrical wholesalers will have the right size holesaw for the job.

Dan

Just a tip. Cut a hole in an old piece of plasterboard before you try to fit your lights just to check. I've just fitted some that wanted a 68mm holesaw. Can't find one so used a 64mm and had to notch out for the clip brackets with a stanley knife.

Sponsored Links
If your ceiling is lath and plaster make sure you take it very steady when drilling the holes, as it is very easy to remove great chunks of plaster without even trying.
Also don't forget Part P of the building regs requires this work to be notified to LABC

Rob

we use those, but its seems a bit expensive for a diyer who is only going to use it "one off"

cheaper to get out a compass and cut a hole with a pad saw ( bought for as little as £1 or maybe less )

Jim2287[b] said:
we use those[/b], but its seems a bit expensive for a diyer who is only going to use it "one off"

cheaper to get out a compass and cut a hole with a pad saw ( bought for as little as £1 or maybe less )

Of course you do, so do most people who want a perfect hole

1/2 the problem with diy projects is the tools used. You know how hard it is even with practice to cut a small round hole in plastered plasterboard.

My advise - save the money on labour - spend some of it on pro tools then you've got 1/2 a chance of a pro looking job

hehe true

not that hard to cut circle with pad saw ... but if you cant do it straight away then its a time waster to practice, like u said

Got my cutters from a place called CAROLS chaps where i live only payed 2.99 for it and it cuts all sizes of holes, it fits in the end of your drill.

I cut mine with the next size down and just went round the hole with a round file so that the downlights was a tight fit in the hole.

It doss a nice round hole as well but where somert on your eyes before you do the cutting because of the plaster getting in your eyes.

Hi,
The Maplins set of holecutters is 4-99 and is great for cutting plasterboard and softwood. I've used them for SELV 12 v & GU10 perfect sizes included. Great. Better than the more expensive ones I've had for years and which stay in the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back