[b]fitting new toilet to cast iron soil pipe[/b]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new toilet with horizontal waste in a 1925 built house. The old close coupled toilet was connected to a cast iron pipe with flange very close to the outside wall. I intend to cut off the flange using my angle grinder.

The outlet on the new toilet will need an offset plastic connector, because its outlet is lower than the waste pipe, which is also set at a slight downward angle. all the offset connectors I have seen in the 'usual places' are much too short.Can anyone suggest how I can tackle this in a neat way? If possible I want to avoid using one of those long flexible things.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hahaha..Thanks Gasguru. I did not write that very well, so its reads a bit a*s*about face. Of course, it is the toilet itself that is higher.The removed toilet was closecoupled, but cemented into the cast iron, and there was a thick horizontal batten used as a 'spacer' between the cistern and the wall. I have already cut off the rim of the cast iron pipe using an angle grinder,so I can flush fit the new cistern,as its maker intended.
Your ref.has cleared up how to deal with this soilpipe/spigot joint.

However, there is still something perhaps you can clear up.
Obviously,since a normal soil pipe connector is quite short, a modern plastic soil outlet pipe must protrude from the wall to enable connection to the spigot.It might seem a silly question, but is there a standard distance for this? The several different makes of close coupled toilets that I looked at, all had the same spigot length?
If there is, I want to get it right, just in case I have to change it again in the future.

If your problem is what I think it is then it is not a problem at all and is easily solved .

Am I right in thinking you now have the cast iron branch protruding an inch or so from the wall and the gap between this and the pan spigot is too big for a 'normal' pan connector?

If this is the case then all you need is a pan connector extension piece -See www.multikwik.com and select product number MKEA or MKEB(for 4 inch or 3.5 inch soil respectively).

Insert the extension piece into the cast iron and trim to length to suit the incoming pan connector. If you're still not sure what I mean please ask.

Sponsored Links
Hi Steady,
You are perfectly correct. That is the problem., and you have given me the solution. I was not stuck to make the connection.I just wanted to know how to do it neatly and correctly. You have given me the solution.I have completely refitted the bathroom except for that toilet.

There is one small detail that I had wrong, but the same solution applies.
I was mistaken about the material of the branch.Though most of the external pipe is cast iron, the final 90 deg. bend with flange,that protrudes into the bathroom, is made of some sort of composite like fibreglass,but internal dia is still 4 inch,so no problem there.This did not become apparent until I began to cut off the flange with my angle grinder.Obviously it was easier to cut and trim.

Thanks again for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back