2 x power showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one exsisting power shower and wish to add a second power shower. Can I take the electrical feed from the exsisting power supply for the original shower by using a junction box? If so, can both showers be run at the same time? :confused:

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Err, I doubt it!

The cable size and mcb/fuse size would have been calcuated for the power rating (watts) of your original shower - adding another onto it would at least double the power requirement - this would then overload your cables and cause your mcb to operate.

It looks like a new circuit...

SB

Do you know how the existing power shower is fed? From the ring main or a spur off the ring for example?

If it's a ring main then you could just spur off the existing supply at the point that feeds the first shower and feed the second shower via a second switched fuse spur. You can also do that if the existing supply is a spur, or a radial. Slightly more complicated depending on what the set up is now.

No major load on power showers as it's just a supply for a pump really, but junction boxes are best avoided for reasons of access/testing at a later date.

Sponsored Links
The power shower in our house is rated at just 75W. I assume most will be of a similar rating, so there should be no problems regarding overloading of cables. Just make sure both showers are definitely power showers. Also it is good practice to have your shower(s) protected by an RCD

Rob

Thanx to all who replied.

They both are power showers and thus just pumps. The paperwork supplied states that the cable required is 1mm and only needs to be 3 amp fused.

Original shower is fed by 2.5mm cable and was intending on taking a spur from that cable with a 2.5mm cable to feed the second shower. Original shower has it's own supply and comes from the main board with MCB protection.

Do you think this will be ok???

Elliot.

Yes, but better to continue the circuit from the existing fused spur, (first shower) and on to your second fused spur, (second shower) rather than use a junction box. Easier to carry out the required tests.

Have you considered the hot water requirement when running two showers? Might be worth asking the plumbers if you haven't?

Har_vey said:
YHave you considered the hot water requirement when running two showers?
Just check the manufacturer's instructions, and ensure that your cold storage is adequate. If you run out of hot water first then it's just uncomfortable, but running out of cold first is potentially dangerous, so also check that the DHW outlet from the CSS is higher than the cold outlet.

Thanx again for your replies.

Have spoken to a plumber and a sparky mate of mine.

Plumber said no problems with cold water pressure. Would cope well with two running. Unlikely that both will be on at same time anyway.

Sparky said no problems with my plan of a spur from first shower, but recommended taking the feed for the second shower from the ring main for the sockets. Worked out much easier that way anyway.

Thanx again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back