Intermittently warm radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into my new house and I\\\'ve had problems with the radiators ever since. They intermittently heat up and cool down without me changing the thermostats. Consequently the house is very cold in the evenings when I want the heating on its maximum continuously. It affects each radiator and there is no obvious pattern to it. I have a Vokera combi boiler with a temperature setting on the boiler ranging from 1 to 9, and I\\\'ve got it permanenetly on 9. There is no central room thermostat. Each radiator has its own temperature control switch, which I have on maximum. I bled all the radiators last night (or tried to) but with curious results. The downstairs rads released water immediately but the upstairs didn\\\'t release water at all, even after two full turns, and there was no hissing on any of them. The rads (all of them) are sometimes cold at the top or the bottom, and often all over, and then sometimes boilng hot!

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
sterose said:
Whats all the \\\ about?

That happen to me once and I think what happening is they write the question on the ' Mircosoft Word ' or whatever software they have,then they copy & paste it onto the diynot forum post and when using the punctuation and grammar it automacially change to \\\.

It sounds like you have no pressure in the system. Look for a guage on the front of the boiler (not the temperature one). The needle should be somewhere between the 10 and 20 mark. If not then do a search in these forums for 'filling loop' and it will tell you all you need to know.

Sponsored Links
amazing, we have exactly the same problem when we moved into our house couple of months ago, we had a plumber out to look at it and the boiler was checked and seemed fine, he did say that it maybe because of low water flow/pressure as we are still on the old lead main, we are in the process of having a new main put in as if we run one tap then open another one stops!!!!

have you had any luck in fixing the problem yet????

it is also affecting our hot water as that can run hot and cold too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back