Ducting - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning to run the ducting for an internal shower room up and along the floor of the room upstairs to the external wall but the joists are running the wrong way. Is there any issue with running it back down to the floor of the same floor and out to the external wall at this height? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Up and over the room above?

A normal shower fan won't have the capacity to extract over that distance. Could be done, but you would have to install a mighty big fan!

Sorry - no, not up and over the room above but from the top of the room (across from the top of the shower), back down to the floor (i.e. the height of the shower room) and across the floor of the room next to it (in this case about 4-5m) to the external wall. What do you think?

cant be done. condensation in pipe a big issue. consider another route.

Sponsored Links
I would normally duct via the shortest route possible. Straight out preferably, or failing that up and then out. Up being the way heat likes to go anyway.

The less bends the better and I have only ever seen very short lengths of ducting going down.

Trying to extract down bank seems to go against every diagram I have seen. But, this isn't my area of expertise, so personal opinion only and If anyone else knows better then by all means...........!

Might be an idea to ask one of the fan manufacturers to see if they can advise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back