Power to Garage - Is that okay? (I have searched)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Basically I just bought a first floor flat, and down stairs ground floor is my garage, which has no electricity at the moment.

What I want to do is to power to garage to provide 1 or 2 sockets, and a lighting point for an energy saving bulb.

I have done a search, but all the previous threads are about detached garages, not attached and particularly not for a flat.

I have this idea in mind, I am just wondering if it is safe to go for it. And what is the maximum realistic/safety power.

I got a double socket in flat very close to the consumer unit, my idea is to use an RCD plug which has a 13A fuse, with 3-core flex (1.5m2) going down the floorboards to a wall-mounted junction box in the garage. The junction box would split the feed to two, one for a wall-mounted single/double socket, and one for the lighting point with a switch somewhere - all in PVC trunking.

So...

1. Does everything need to be water/splash-proof in the garage?
2. Is it safe?
3. Can it provide 2000w safely? (I don't really use that much, but circumstances might change)
4. Is it legal? (Does Part P regulate attached garages?)

Please advise.
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
no, search some more.

Or pretend your garagrge is not part of the building then search again. But at least you have searched

Thank you for the reply.

I read another nine pages of search results just now, but I am still not sure whether it is "okay" to go for it.

Most of the search results are to do with burying cables in the ground, or asking people to search, which I think I have done quite a lot.

I know that the best way is of course to spur off the double socket mentioned (sorry no more space at the main CU) to feed a small CU in the garage, but I really don't like the complication and costs involved, unless it is a legal requirement.

The biggest difference between my case and others is that my garage is right underneath me, not an "outdoor" building.

So is my plan okay or not?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
And why is that please? (I am not a pro obviously)
It is fuse protected, and RCD protected, is that not enough?

(Target is 2kW by the way)

Thanks.

sorry i had to go to the small room and pressed submit on my way

your idea is flawed because:

flex to jb in garage

13A fuse protecting light and sockets

part P

Flex is only to be used for non fixed appliances i.e lawnmower, unless it is a means of connection to a fixed appliance, eg boiler. You are using it as a supply cable

if you use twin and earth, as you should you could spur off the house ring,(not really recomended) but that would breach part p since you are adding fixed wiring, which means either notifying labc, or getting a part p qualified spark to check it (unlikley they will check an others work and certify it)

garage should be protected by rcd (as you know)

garage should be on own circuit

in short you can't do it without breaching part p

metal clad sockets are not required for a garage but they are a very good idea (saves money in repalcing plastic sockets, and also generaly better)

There MAY also be a problem with you going through the ceiling, it MAY breach fire regs as there is living area above garage and you would be breaching the fire protection.

but i did say MAY (i am not sure on that one)

my suggestion would be get several quotes

the complication is wether to inform building control :?: the cost is your new c.u. :?: we will say yes to both......but its your call ;)

Thanks!

So I'll NEED to get an electrician to do it then, as I don't want to break the law (I might sell this flat in a year).

By the way... the ceiling of the garage is not fire rated :eek: Quite scary really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back