Socket conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it nessessary to use conduit when installing new sockets and doing a re-wire

Sponsored Links
no (not unless the situation requires it, conduit is for mechanical protection, although if it is to be buried in the wall conduit helps, but you can also use capping)

top hat section steel or plastic that is nailed over the top of a cable to protect it from the sharp edge of the plasterers trowel..

there is no need to use conduit or capping if the cable is in the safe zones ( see the wiki. )

Sponsored Links
Many thanks.

The cable is running (inside the wall) just above the skirting board, and then vertically up to where the new socket box will be (about 6 inches up from the skirting board, like all the other sockets). So I guess it is in the safety zone.

That being the case, it looks like I can just go ahead and plaster it in!

Am I OK as regards not breaching any regulations? I am not a qualified electrician, but the wiring part of this job is the easy bit!

Hold it there a second,

There is no safe zone running a few inches above the skirting!

Basically safe zones are Horzontally and vertically in line with electricial accessories, and a 150mm 'margin' in corners and along the top of the wall (but not along the base!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back