Advice needed - problem with new house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have completed on my house today, and have been around tonight to check it all out again. Its a 1930's semi. Anyway on the survey it mentioned damp in the dining room. Anyway to cut a long story short this appears to be worse than first though...visually anyway. The problem is on the dividing wall between the two houses. I yanked a piece of the wallpaper and most of the lower wall paper came off in one piece. The plaster underneath has crystals on it, and I am concerned as to what could be causing this problem. There did used to be a chimney brest i n the area where there is this problem, but its not on all the wall, just up to waist height.

I know people cant say for definate what the problem may be but is it possible for anyone to give me some ideas that I can investigate. I wondered if the chimney brest may not have been blocked off properly hence damp penetrating through from the void....??? Does this make sense??

Any help or ideas gratefully received.
Cheers
Strakiller AKA Jane X

Sponsored Links
Injecting the wall will cure it. Rising damp is a common problem - even though there are those in here that deny it exists.

joe

joe-90 said:
Injecting the wall will cure it. Rising damp is a common problem - even though there are those in here that deny it exists.

joe

"Rising damp is a common problem" find it ;)

he cant :LOL:

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Injecting the wall will cure it.
No it will not. You know very close to nothing at all about this subject.

joe-90 said:
Rising damp is a common problem - even though there are those in here that deny it exists.
Damp is common, but it doesn't rise through brickwork, therefore injecting the wall will achieve nothing except wasting some time and money.

Starkiller, have a read of this topic: Rising damp does not exist

Damp is common, but it doesn't rise through brickwork, therefore injecting the wall will achieve nothing except wasting some time and money.
Not true, but thats an arguement for another day. As the original post does not mension rising damp!

Anyways, how long was the property vacant before you bought it?? also what kind of heating system is in the room in question? if the old chimney still penetrates the roof check the flashing round the opening

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back