Sewage flow into the washing machina through drain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have connected the washing machine waste hose to the spigot which is on the side of the waste trap underneath the sink, but I found the sewage was flowing into the washing machine through the waste hose when I pour water into the sink. Is it the washing machine's problem? Or it is the problem of the drain system? Could anybody please tell me how to solve the problem? Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
It is probably the layout of the hose. You need to postion the hose run so that it goes upwards, after leaving the spigot, before turning down again towards the machine. this upwards section should be above the sinl water level. If you can tie it up directly under the draining board it will probably be OK.

then water from the sink will have to run uphill to get into the hose, which it usually won't.

BTW, does the water drain quickly away from the sink down the drain, or could there be an obstruction in the trap or drainpipe?

BTW, I hope you have waste water in your sink, not sewage, or you have some very unhygenic habits.

The drain hose should go upwards where it leaves the washing machine, with it going higher than the fitting on the waste trap before coming back down. Some traps now come with valves, but other wise the above should fix it.

Sponsored Links
:) Thanks a lot, I will try tomorrow.
It should be the waste water, not sewage, sorry. :oops:
Again, I want to make sure it is not the washing machine's problem, right?

Sorry, forget to answer the question, this is the new sink, the water goes quickly.

the washing machine is not doing anything wrong. It will be the hose. If you had said the drain was obstructed that might have contributed, as the sink water would have been looking for somewhere to go.

Mandyliang said:
this is the new sink, the water goes quickly.
that is because it is flowing into the washing m/c

as others have said put a loop in the hose (horse shoe shape) this will stop it from happening provided the top of the horse shoe shape is higher than the spiggot.

also spiigots are well known for blocking, a stand pipe would be better, but as you have he spiggot, you may want to clean it say 1 /month

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back