New Light and new socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iam quite inexperienced in electrics but iam eager to learn more. Is it possible to cut into the same ring circuit for both a new power socket and a new light fitting and switch or are there two seperate circuits?

I've received conflicting information from other sources.

Sponsored Links
Lighting circuits are separate from socket ones.

But there is no reason why you cannot power a light with a spur from the ring, you'll need a fused connection unit if you're going to use 1.0 or 1.5mm cable.

I would advise against doing this for a ceiling light though, as (a) it's easier to use the lighting circuit, and (b) could confuse or even hurt people in the future if they think they've turned off the lighting circuit and they haven't.

What did you have in mind, and what conflicting advice have you had?

The problem that I have is that I want to install a single power socket in the loft to power a TV ariel booster. Iam also wanting to install a light in the loft as well as installing a light in the cupboard in the main bedroom where the access hatch is situated.
If it isn't possible to run a spur from the main lighting circuit, does this mean taking one from the bedroom below?

Ah - I think you mean you want to power a socket from the lighting circuit - this is not allowed - at least, 13A sockets are not allowed.

You can run spurs off the lighting circuit for the other lights though.

As for powering the aerial booster, provided it's a small load, and I think they usually are, then I think you'll be OK to do this, but you'll have to either wire it into an FCU with a flex outlet, or into a 2A or 5A socket fed via an FCU. If I'm wrong about this, hopefully one of the experts here will correct me.

Sponsored Links
Does this now mean that I have to take a spur from a socket in one of the bedrooms to be certain for it to be 100% safe?

Thistle said:
Iam quite inexperienced in electrics but iam eager to learn more. Is it possible to cut into the same ring circuit for both a new power socket and a new light fitting and switch or are there two seperate circuits?

I've received conflicting information from other sources.

'Inexperienced'?
Firstly, do not attempt to learn more. Stop now, before your death.

No seriously now.

Find a cable for the socket ring main, run it into the loft, attach a socket,
and a fused spur for the light.
Like ban-all says, using the lighting circuit is a no-no.
Upstairs ring mains usually run under the floorbards and not in the ceiling, so yes, you best run it off a bedroom socket to be sure.

Thistle - the problem is your original question was "Is it possible to cut into the same ring circuit for both a new power socket and a new light fitting and switch?", but you didn't mean the ring at all, did you, you meant the lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back