when should you bleed radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was wondering if there is a yearly rounting for bleeding the radiators. every fall or spring? what is the maintainece for hot water heat? thank you for your help

Sponsored Links
Rounting?? One to look up in a US/UK dictionary!
It isn't critical, though if you have a sealed system you might lose pressure when you do it.
Bleeding is not always required at all. If you have more than a pretty small amount, something's wrong.

If a radiator is cold at the top when warm below, it needs bleeding. Otherwise, it doesn't.

When the foilage turns to an auburn hue ...bleedin the rads is what you do :eek:

Sponsored Links
You vent them when they have air in them dont you?

Just seems the obvious thing to do.

No air, no venting.

God when I was 5 I knew if my radiator needing venting, (but my daddy was a gas man so I learnt early.)

David

I tell my customers under no circumstances bleed radiators without asking for my free advice first. :)

Too many feed tanks on open systems are full of sludge that could enter the system. Many sealed systems rely on trapped air in the rads since the expansion vessels may be low on charge pressure.

Bleeding rads without checking a few things few can trash the system.

Soggy_weetabix said:
You vent them when they have air in them dont you?

Just seems the obvious thing to do.

No air, no venting.

God when I was 5 I knew if my radiator needing venting, (but my daddy was a gas man so I learnt early.)

David
When I wa 5 there wasn`t C/H in any of the houses round our parts :eek: 1968 moved and had night storage........1974 installed solid fuel for Mum+Dad.....2006 still no gas in the bloody village :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back