bleeding radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. When you bleed the radiators do you have to add water? There is a water valve connected to the main heating system in the cellar. Two of my upstairs heaters are not releasing any water - just air. Do you have to put water in every year? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would guess you are on a sealed system of some type in the US?, when you put in fresh water it will gradually release air which you bleed out over the course of a coouple of days then insert an inhibitor through the radiators. If you are getting a lot of air in certain rads they are probably leaking water and sucking in air. I would keep refills to a minimum, fresh water contains oxygen which rots your rads from the inside.

Hi - and thanks for replying. THis is a really old house here, built in 1928 and the heaters are these big old things. The one I am concerned about is in the bathroom, however, it still works just fine. Perhaps I should leave well enough alone. Even though the heaters are old and large, they work really well. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back