Venting a Tumble Dryer up a chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got limited space to put a tumble dryer which means I can only fir in a compact vented machine. This leads me to the problem of venting, the position I have in mind is at a chimney breast on the ground floor (in a 2 storey house).
If I were to line the inside of the stack with some sort of waterproof membrane, would it be feasible to attach the vent hose up the chimney and allow the natural airflow/suction to pull the steam out or is it likely that I would get condensed water pouring back downwards?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Sponsored Links
stevejw99 said:
would it be feasible to attach the vent hose up the chimney and allow the natural airflow/suction to pull the steam out or is it likely that I would get condensed water pouring back downwards?
What leads you to believe that there would be some "suction" up the chimney?

Mischievous questions aside, your intended solution would be a good way of making the chimney very damp.

Far better to use something like this:
vent.jpg

perhaps suction is the wrong word, but as air flows across the chimney pot it draws air up the chimney stack - basic aerodynamics surely?

The chimney stack wouldn't get damp if lined either.

Can anyone say how effective those condenser boxes are, by the way?
I would be surprised if they didn't leave the room feeling rather humid.

Sponsored Links
stevejw99 said:
Can anyone say how effective those condenser boxes are, by the way?
I would be surprised if they didn't leave the room feeling rather humid.
I'm told, by a customer who has one, that they're great.

It'd cost merely £7 or so to give it a whirl (pun intended).

Hi,

I think that the chimney idea is attractive but flawed. The dryer fan will not have enough puff to expel the damp air over such a length of liner. This might not be so bad, but the greater problem will be in expelling the fluff that is produced in a dryer. The danger is of accumulation of fluff at the base of the chimney and the possibility of a fire. Use the internal collector as described above.

Rgds.

We had one of those boxes. Were not very impressed. Fiddly to set up and keep topping up with ice cold water.

The only satisfactory answer to your problem is to have a condensing dryer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back