Worcester 24CDi Combi - Black Stuff Coming out of Hot Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a Worcester 24CDi which was installed approx 6 yrs ago. I've noticed over the last few months that when I run the hot taps black bits are coming out with the water. These black bits look to me (the untrained eye) to be carbon deposits. Has anyone else seen this? If so, is this a warning that something could be wrong with the boiler? I have my boiler serviced each year and mentioned this to my Gas man only 6 weeks ago and he told me to clean the inside of the taps but I'm not convinced that dirty taps is the cause of the problem! Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
COuld they be rubber , or iron? (teeth, fridge magnets...)

Its most likely to be rubber bits from a disintegrating tap washer.

Problem is to decide which one!

Have you checked the hot tap concerned?

Tony

have you got a water softener? Sometimes they loosen old scale deposits that have built up.

Sponsored Links
The deposits are gritty not rubbery, however thanks for the suggestion as I'll get the washers replaced so we can eliminate them as the cause. I don't have a water softener installed but we are in a very hard water area here.

More than one tap makes more than one washer so less likely.

Iron pipes anywhere? There's a filter in the boiler which will stop anything over a millimeter, maybe smaller. (They clog up...)

Another poster on the site has black stuff in their water, and Baxi say it's faulty programming software in the boiler - so all options open!!

Is the hw flow ok? And does it get VERY hot - ie too hot to put your hand under?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back