Sealed CH system - Should I flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sealed central heating system which has been in the house from new - about 14 years.

A couple of the rads do not turn off at the thermostatic valves, and I was wondering if the whole system could do with a flushing through.

Is this a fairly straightforward procedure?

I thought about connecting the pressurising hose to the main water, a hose on the drain, then just closing all the rads off except one, then open another, close the first and so on until the whole lot is flushed through.

Is there an easier way?

Sponsored Links
If your radiators are all heating up uniformally, i.e. equally top, bottom & centre, I cannot see how a flush will help. If you cannot turn off your radiators by the T.R.V`s, therein lies the problem.

It doesn't sound as if flushing is required, but if you do you could check the description of mains flushing given in the FAQ topic in the topics menu.

Sponsored Links
Many of the TRVs available 14 years ago left a little to be desired!

The condition of the water in your system cannot be determined on a website, however well informed, and has to be inspected from a water sample and an inspection of a part, perhaps a TRV !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back