electric shocks from cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help,i have just bought a new house,and i am getting electric shocks from the metal hob in kitchen,nothing major just a little tingle,when measured voltage with my multimeter i bought from car boot sale i have 230v live to earth,and 50v neutral to earth??ive been told my system is pme?whatever that means,any ideas as ive got a young family 2and 3 year old kids,please help

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your appliance isn't properly earthed.

i have checked the plug to the gas hob everything is tight,earth wire etc,if the hob did not have a earth wire to the ground or earth as u lecks call it surley i would not get a reading of 230v between positive and earth??? on my hob?????? any ideas???

Where are you measuring the N-E 50v from. On a PME I would not expect anything over about 5v.

Sponsored Links
iam measuring 50volts from the metal of my hob to the neutral of the cooker isolation switch,metal to earth nothing,metal to live 230v,live to neutral 230v???what is wrong why is 50 volts there,and it does give u a tingle???

It shouldn't have 50v neutral-earth, is there a socket nearby? What voltage do you get between the socket earth and the chassis of the cooker?

Call me thick, or blind, but I'm having trouble seeing the part where you explained how you'd eliminated the possibility of a faulty earth.

earth to earth nothing ,between cooker body and cooker switch or socket i get 230v,however cooker earth to any neutral it measures 50v,could this be a drilled cable???? i have a slit load board and the cooker is on the main switch side on a 32amp circuit breaker????

but why would i have 230 v between cooker and positive if i didnt have a earth????

Softus said:
Call me thick, or blind, but I'm having trouble seeing the part where you explained how you'd eliminated the possibility of a faulty earth.

He was saying he had 0v between the chassis and the cooker isolator earth, I was wondering if there was any voltage between this and another earth, instead of running a flying lead back to the MET, using the closest earth available, so not eliminating a faulty earth, more trying to understand where the fault could be,

Firstly turn the cooker MCB off at the fuse board. With the multimeter set to ohms range can you measure the resistance from the cooker switch to the cooker chassis?

i have had the earth probe on the cooker body and to live sockets/cooker switch/light switch it measures 230v,positive to earth,however when i go from cooker body to any of these circuits neutral i measure 50v and get a tingle,???? i have been told that many new houses have a pme system,is this something to do with the way the house is wired inside??????like the cooker etc???? :oops:

PME is protective multiple earthing, the same as TN-CS. This is the eleccy boards side of things, the only differences to an installation from TN-S is a lower external loop impedance and the earthing requirements are slightly different, you should not however be getting a shock from your cooker. Neutral and earth should be connected together in the suppliers knockout next to the eleccy meter, (this is property of the electric board which you should not touch) hence there should not me much more than 5v potential between neutral and earth anywhere within the installation.

Just out of interest, what voltage are you getting N-E on the socket circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back