DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

wiring cable to cooker

This topic originated from the How to page called Installing an electric cooker
Click here to return to the page called Installing an electric cooker.

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgiak

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just wired in my new electric cooker. The LCD display and hobs are working fine, but the grill and oven are not. Where have I gone wrong?

I am pretty sure that the wiring into the terminal box is fine - earth on earth, neutral on neutral and live on live so the problem is probably on the cooker itself. There are 6 terminals on the cooker, one of which appears to be unused, one is earth, one is neutral and the other three have red/brown cabling coming into them. I have wired in the cable with earth to earth, neutral to neutral and then the live to one of the 3 live terminals. There are two little metal connectors, which I have put in to join two of the live terminals, and one live to the neutral terminal.

Can anyone help??

Thanks very much.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Carloss

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Hello,

there should be a diagram on the cover you took off to connect the cooker up... you have to put additional links into the other terminals of the cooker. look at the wireing diagram.

carlos
 Alert Moderators
georgiak

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote

hi carlos, thanks very much for replying. I have looked at the diagram, and it shows only two links between three terminals. I copied this exactly the first time, and only the LCD display worked, so then I moved one to link a live/neutral, and the hob started working but not the cooker! I think I will need to keep fiddling with the connectors to try different locations.

any more suggestions gratefully received!
 Alert Moderators
Carloss

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote

sorry i cant be anymore help, i've connected up lots of different models of cookers all having different ways of being connected! therefore i cant tell you what is correct.

If you state the model of the cooker i'll see what i can do,

carlos
 Alert Moderators
georgiak

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote

It's a Frigidaire model CP605. very kind of you to help, thanks. the thing that's confusing me is that the diagram shows live cables into four of the terminals, but the cooker seems to have only three live terminals, with one unused.

I would get an expert to do it, only getting an electrician to even answer the phone, let alone come and do a 15 minute wiring job, is damn near impossible!
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote

georgiak wrote:
There are two little metal connectors, which I have put in to join < . . . > one live to the neutral terminal.

what made you do that? Connect the 3 lives together.

EDIT: SET THE CLOCK!!!!! some models have microwave like shut-off relays built into the clock, and not setting the clock will result in the ovens not working. Our GAS oven has this feature.
 Alert Moderators
georgiak

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote

aha! I will try it. thanks. I initially connected the lives, but nothing worked, so I fiddled around a bit....

thanks for your help
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote

let us know if it works.

FYI, the 3 live terminals are so the cooker can be used across 3 phases in certain european countries. What they have in some places is 2 phases and neutral supply - they wire 2 terminals to one phase and the remaining one to the other phase. Their main fuses are quite weedy, typically 40A, so this is the reason many places are supplied with 2 or 3 phases.

here in the UK, 3 phase is only found in commercial premises, so 3 phase kit without motors can be wired to a single beefy phase (tech term there icon_lol.gif ).

god that explanation was rough. must try harder. icon_eek.gif
 Alert Moderators
georgiak

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote

I think I get it! I sell commercial premises, and I'm always telling people how they've got three phase, and I don't have a clue what it means! so that is actually really helpful, thanks.

Setting the clock seems to have fixed it! Thank you so much. Is it a problem that I have linked the neutral terminal to a live? Should I change it, even though it's working?
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote

georgiak wrote:
Is it a problem that I have linked the neutral terminal to a live? Should I change it, even though it's working?

is there anything not working? if not, then leave it. it'd pop a fuse if it was badly wrong. Could just be 2 phase, with the third live not used, so one phase powers the hob and the other powers the oven and grill. Glad i was of help! Did the instructions not say to set the clock first? (or was it "if all else fails read the instructions")
 Alert Moderators
RF Lighting

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote

Do the connections look like the ones in this post?
http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56604
 Alert Moderators
georgiak

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote

The instructions were worse than useless! No, they didn't say to set the clock first.

The instruction leaflet only gave me one option for wiring the terminals (unlike the bosch one in your link) and what was confusing is that the diagram showed a link to a terminal which was unused (on my cooker, not on the diagram).

Anyhow, it is all working now, so thanks very much for your help. Husband will be very impressed when he comes back from his w/e away to find that I have wired the cooker AND set up the DVD/TV/Sky box and speakers!! This is a very handy forum, glad I found it.
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote

georgiak wrote:
This is a very handy forum, glad I found it.

glad to be of help. recommend us and click some ads to fund us! icon_wink.gif icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: