Which combi boiler make?!?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting some quotes together for a new combi boiler. The problem is the usual conflicting opinions about what to install and I'm well confused.

The first guy has been recommended by a reliable friend has said that he would install an Alpha (i think the model he said was a 24E, but I can't seem to find that model on the net) saying that it was "the business". He said it would be around £1,700 plus VAT.

When I had BG round the other day they said they would install a Bosch 30SI (for £3,400 all in) and when I asked for their opinion on Alpha's he just looked at me and shaked his head saying cheap as chips and so on and so forth.

I know that BG is not necesarily honest and will more than like be biased in what they want to sell you, but it is not helpful when two people just say that they are right.

My research so far has told me that Bosch and Vaillant are the better makes, and Alpha does not appears very much. Not that that is everything to go by, but I just don't know what to think. I'm happy to pay more for the best if that is the best thing to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gordon

Sponsored Links
I have a friend whose landlord fitted a cheap Ravenheat 18 months ago and it has given no trouble!

I am pretty fussy about installation work but even though that job was done by one of the big firms which work for housing associations I would say that its was all top quality work and I could not critiscise anything.

Installing on a really clean system is more important than the make of boiler.

Tony

gordon_mc said:
Hi,

I'm getting some quotes together for a new combi boiler. The problem is the usual conflicting opinions about what to install and I'm well confused.

The first guy has been recommended by a reliable friend has said that he would install an Alpha (i think the model he said was a 24E, but I can't seem to find that model on the net) saying that it was "the business". He said it would be around £1,700 plus VAT.

When I had BG round the other day they said they would install a Bosch 30SI (for £3,400 all in) and when I asked for their opinion on Alpha's he just looked at me and shaked his head saying cheap as chips and so on and so forth.

I know that BG is not necesarily honest and will more than like be biased in what they want to sell you, but it is not helpful when two people just say that they are right.

My research so far has told me that Bosch and Vaillant are the better makes, and Alpha does not appears very much. Not that that is everything to go by, but I just don't know what to think. I'm happy to pay more for the best if that is the best thing to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gordon

Alpha had an image problem. They improved their quality and designs. Many of them have 5 year guarantees. The Alpha CD50 is a high flow combi and will fill a bath as fast as any cylinder system.

I would go for a Glow Worm (rebadged Vaillants) before a Bosch. The higher the DHW flowrate, the better. For for high flowrates. The 24E is too low to me.

Alpha is an economy Italian design, pretty similar to most other Italian boilers.

They also manufacture most of the cheaper Potterton and Baxi badged boilers.

Nothing wrong with them and they spend quite a lot on advertising and attend all the shows with pretty girls etc. They would be expected to have a good customer service but I dont ever need to contact them so I have no experience of that.

Their models over the last six years seem to have had more silly little faults with NTCs and o/h stats than one would have expected.

To get their five year warranty they have to be installed by a CORGI installer and serviced every year at about £50-£60 a time! Most people do not bother to get them serviced and if they are properly fitted by a CORGI on a clean system would not be likely to give any problem anyway.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Alpha is an economy Italian design, pretty similar to most other Italian boilers.

They also manufacture most of the cheaper Potterton and Baxi badged boilers.

Nothing wrong with them and they spend quite a lot on advertising and attend all the shows with pretty girls etc. They would be expected to have a good customer service but I dont ever need to contact them so I have no experience of that.

Their models over the last six years seem to have had more silly little faults with NTCs and o/h stats than one would have expected.

To get their five year warranty they have to be installed by a CORGI installer and serviced every year at about £50-£60 a time! Most people do not bother to get them serviced and if they are properly fitted by a CORGI on a clean system would not be likely to give any problem anyway.

Tony Glazier

They don't have to be installed by a CORGI at all, by a competent person, as most makers say these days in their instructions. Alpha can't go outside the law. Any guarantee, boilers, cars, etc, insist that the service is done at the right time.

Alpha have cyclone traps in the return which collects solids in the system.

Water Systems, again you are giving incorrect and confusing advice!

Gordon has told us that he is "collecting quotes" which means he is going to PAY somebody to fit his boiler. In that case even Water Systems will usually admit that that person HAS to be CORGI registered.

Gordon, you have to realise that Water Systems is not CORGI registered, indeed he is now retired, but he has some deep seated gripe against people like me who are CORGI registered.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
Water Systems, again you are giving incorrect and confusing advice!

Gordon has told us that he is "collecting quotes" which means he is going to PAY somebody to fit his boiler. In that case even Water Systems will usually admit that that person HAS to be CORGI registered.

Gordon, you have to realise that Water Systems is not CORGI registered, indeed he is now retired, but he has some deep seated gripe against people like me who are CORGI registered.

Tony Glazier

You are a very confused man. I was responding to what you wrote. You do not need to be Corgi registered to fit the boiler. You were stating you had to be. Some people may actually believe the nonsense you write.

I'm far to young to retire. I'm also very good looking.

Water Systems said:
I'm far to young to retire.
So, if you're too young to retire, and you're more competent than so many RGIs, and you're so concerned about consumer safety, why don't you become an RGI?

Cat got your tongue? Is it true that you're just a bitter and twisted CORGI reject, spat out by the agency that you so despise?

Softus said:
Water Systems said:
I'm far to young to retire.
So, if you're too young to retire, and you're more competent than so many RGIs, and you're so concerned about consumer safety, why don't you become an RGI?

You only need to be Corgi when you are hands on and going into peopel's homes. And from what I have read from you bunch I wouldn't let any of you across the doorstep.

Softus said:
Cat got your tongue? Is it true that you're just a bitter and twisted CORGI reject, spat out by the agency that you so despise?

Mr Head, you are baking.

MOD 2 second warning BE ADVISED

Home Owners
As a house-owner you have a responsibility to yourself and the residents in your home to ensure that your gas fittings and appliances are safe. Ensure that all gas appliances and/or flues are regularly maintained and a safety check carried out annually or at any other time if there is a safety doubt by a CORGI registered installer.

Health and Safety
Every year about 30 people die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly installed or maintained. Many others also suffer ill health. When gas does not burn properly, as with other fuels such as coal, wood or oil, excess CO is produced which is poisonous. You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill without warning in just a matter of hours. The Health and Safety Executive website contains information gas consumers need to know in order to manage gas appliances/equipment safely and tells you what to do in an emergency. It also provides advice for landlords, and letting agents on how to comply with the law.

Water Systems said:
Is it true that you're just a bitter and twisted CORGI reject, spat out by the agency that you so despise?
something about cooking
It is clear that the rumour is true - you wanted to be an RGI, but you weren't good enough to be accepted. You need to learn words and understand them.

from the HSE website:All gas consumers are advised to have appliances checked for safety at least every 12 months by a CORGI-registered installer (Council for Registered Gas Installers). Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and registered with CORGI. -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back