Which of these boilers would you recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Boiler in my new house is to be changed and also my rads. Builder came back with a package deal from Ideal of 4 boiler choices which I read are no good at all.

After spending a few days reading various threads on the forum, I sent my builder a list of boilers I wanted to get pricing on (INTERGAS SB36, BAXI DUO TEC, VAILLANT 6 SERIES and ATAG Q385). He has now got back to me with a different list as it seems the Intergas and Atag are much too high a capacity for a house of my size (3 Bedroom Semi which currently has an Ideal mini C)

I was told the Baxi has an appropriate spec but is prone to breakdown and the Vaillant 6 is a system boiler not a combi.

The following options I have been presented with and that will be priced up for me are the following -

Baxi Duo Tec
Worcester Bosch 30si
a suitable Vaillant combi
Alpha Intec X (28w)

The last 3 are particularly recommended. Please share your opinion, knowledge and wisdom with me on this!

Sponsored Links
it seems the Intergas and Atag are much too high a capacity for a house of my size (3 Bedroom Semi which currently has an Ideal mini C)

then get an Intergas or atag that is right for your house

and get a heating engineer not a builder to sort it out !!!

I'd suggest that you have a look at the ATAG A325 ECX (Dependant on your cold water supply being adequate)..... I'd also suggest that you speak to a gas fitter or heating installer rather than a builder about your boiler.

I should have been clearer :oops: Builder is the project manager of the renovation and the response came by way of the heating engineer.

Sponsored Links
The quotes are in and it would be good to hear some more thoughts on this.

vaillant ecotec plus 831 with flue and controls £1350.73
Worcester bosch 30si with flue and controls £1209.03
Glow worm ultracom2 30cxi with flue and controls £994.20 (told it is made by vaillant)
Baxi duo tec 30kw with flue and controls £1102.13
Alpha intec 30c with flue and controls £1186.42

Any I should discount? Which are safe bets? Which would you have in your house?

I have asked for additional details of manufacturers guarantee in terms of years and whether parts and labour covered.

The quotes are in and it would be good to hear some more thoughts on this.

vaillant ecotec plus 831 with flue and controls £1350.73
Worcester bosch 30si with flue and controls £1209.03
Glow worm ultracom2 30cxi with flue and controls £994.20 (told it is made by vaillant)
Baxi duo tec 30kw with flue and controls £1102.13
Alpha intec 30c with flue and controls £1186.42

Any I should discount? Which are safe bets? Which would you have in your house?

I have asked for additional details of manufacturers guarantee in terms of years and whether parts and labour covered.

I would go for the Glow worm. Good boiler you should be able to get it
with up to a 15 year warranty if you want to pay the extra. See your boiler installer.

I would say your builder's heating engineer is a bit of a prat if he thinks an Atag or Intergas boiler is too powerful for you house and then offers that list.

Thanks for commenting guys. I am going to read up on the Glow and look into this 15 year warranty as that sounds like it would give me peace of mind.

Trying to see what the best price is online for the vaillant with flue and controls but I have no idea what 'controls' it will need. Can someone tell me so I can do a proper pricing on it. TIA!

Also I can only see 2 year guarantee offers for the Glow Worm and Vaillant. Are these 7 year ones model specific?

The warrenty depends on if your installer is registered with the manufacturer, as for controls at the very least it will need a clock and a room stat, these can vary from £30 - £300 depending on what your having.

Trying to see what the best price is online for the vaillant with flue and controls but I have no idea what 'controls' it will need. Can someone tell me so I can do a proper pricing on it. TIA!

I am not sure what you expect to achieve by doing that!

Most installers would expect to supply the boiler themselves.

Tony

There is not a single fixed price for these things and if you supply it and you actually find an RGI to actually fit it, it leaves you at a massive disadvantage because the law covering The Supply of Goods and Services Act will not then apply to you to the full extent.

It can cost you hundreds and hundreds of pounds for you to convince the manufacturer of the product that it did not conform to contract, should there be a fault (non installation fault)

It is a lose lose situation.

Get another heating engineer in, this one doesn't sound like he knows what he is doing.

Forget your heating for a min. When you think of the kW rating if a combi it's all in the hot water. Basically a 30kw will give you something like a 40deg rise over your incoming cold temp at 10 litres per min flow rate or say a 40kw boiler will give the same temp rise over the cold but at around 14-15 litres per min. So if you want the best performance out if a combi get the most powerful one you can afford and don't forget you get what you pay for.

Before considering a combi its essential to measure the dynamic flow rate from the water main.

Unless its greater that the capability of a boiler then the boiler will not have enough flow to heat.

Open pipe flow rate is not the same thing ( even if most plumbers think it is! ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back