Gas cooker worktop regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am extending my kitchen and looking to install a freestanding range cooker. I believe that there are regulations regarding the distance the cooker must be from a wall (to the side of the cooker). It will be in a domestic residence used by myself to start with but I may rent the property in a year or two. I found a site for Peterborough council that states that the cooker must have 300mm of worktop either side if renting??

I don't want any worktop either side but it will be in a corner

Any help would be great as it's not easy to find.

Pete

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine has just had his gas cooker condemned by brentwood council appointed service engineers, the reason was that it was a fire hazard as it has an eye level grill and there were kitchen units above it.

I think you will find that it will depend on if the siting is correct for the particular appliance, and then adherence to local guidelines.

This is very easy to follow if you contact your local council with a view to renting your house to them, If interested they will visit the property and they will go through the house with a fine tooth comb and inform you of all changes that they require to comply with the local council.

This obviously does not mean that you are bound to rent to the council although it certainly has many advantages, guaranteed rent and a face lift when handing back are 2 very good reasons to secure a slightly lower rental yield.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Off the top of my head its 20mm either side for a low level or hob to combustible material, but can be over ridden by manufacturers instructions. Hob upwards (still on a low level) 50mm to the side then up 760. Remember the emphasis is on combustible and MI's override.
Different again with a high level grill.

Where are you located beans on toast?

brentwoodheating we're neighbours, give or take a few claret and blue scarves........ :LOL:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
Claret and blue not my affiliated colours- I'm royal blue from a boy and riding high on Russian oil money!

hancockp said:
I believe that there are regulations regarding the distance the cooker must be from a wall (to the side of the cooker).
Pete

When you buy your new cooker it will come with the Manufacturers Instructions. When you have it fitted by your local Corgi installer he will advise on distances from walls etc.

Thanks for all you help everyone, I knew you lot could help.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back