How might my windowsill be fixed?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a 1980's house. It has aluminium framed vertical sliding sash windows.

One of the walls is slate-hung. On this wall, the frames are fixed at the side to the blockwork, and stand on hardwood sills about 35mm x 120 mm.

One of these sills has rotted. I can't see how it is fixed. There are no visible screws. I have taken out the inside windowboard and I can see it has lead underneath it, folded up and nailed to the inner side. I have also taken off the hardwood trims which cover the sides of the blockwork where the frames are set back into the wall. The sills do not seem to touch the side wall; there is lead at the sides as well.

I have given the sill a bit of a bash outwards, but not been able to move it. The aluminium frames will not take leverage.

Does anyone know what might have been a common way to fix this kind of sill?

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Possibly not at all helpful to know that it would come out in seconds with a reciprocator saw with a bi-metal blade.

But would you expect to find screws in it somewhere? I can't see where to cut (I don't want to damage the window or wall)

Most cills are just bedded on with just mortar, I'm thinking the bottom of the aluminium framed maybe screws into the cills under a cover plate?

Any chance of a photo?

Sponsored Links
They don't seem to be in mortar, they seem to be in a lead tray.

Let's see if these pics work:

From inside the window (windowboard removed) - that is lead folded up from underneath and tacked to the back of the sill:
POL_0059.jpg

wider view
POL_0058.jpg

From above, windowboard removed (no sign of screws but perhaps there is a bracket under the foot of the window:
POL_0060.jpg

From above, rotten sill:
POL_0061.jpg

From outside, rotten sill (I have split off part of it):
POL_0062.jpg

And a bonus pic - from my holidays - the Toronto TV Tower on the top of the hill, as seen from an amusement park.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/JohnD_UK/TorontoTowerPic.jpg

These type of frame don't have any screws at the bottom and only normally fitted on the side jambs. You should be able to chop it out with a sharp chisel and slide the new cill into position, use wedges at the bottom of the cill and tighten to the frame then sealant to prevent rain underneath and where the frame meet the cill.

Thanks!

I'll find that chisel I use for opening old paint tins and give it a rub on the back doorstep ;)

Would it be a bad idea to inject some foam through the foot of the window to stick the new sill into place?

Did you like my holiday snap?

JohnD said:
Would it be a bad idea to inject some foam through the foot of the window to stick the new sill into place?
It's okay if you mean expanding foam.
Did you like my holiday snap?
You didn't tell her to get out of the way then? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back