Rules on gas cookers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently one of my friends ordered a new gas cooker and when they came round to fit it they said they couldn't because across the back of his house was a new conservatory and so the kitchen did not have an immediate exit to the outdoors either via a door or a window. They said this was necessary.

Can someone clear this up for me. We currently have a gas cooker but since its installation we have had a conservatory built which spans the back of the entire house so the window from the kitchen opens into the conservatory. There is no extractor hood presently (well only one that uses a liner to soak up bad smells.) Can I buy a new gas cooker with a similar extractror hood to what I've got or does my new conservatory force me into buying electric? There is no door to the kitchen our whole bottom floor bar the conservatory is open plan. The window in the kitchen opens into the conservatory.

I am guessing that I cannot go with a gas cooker which will not please the other half!

Sponsored Links
I would love to help you..unfortunately I didn`t understand a word that you have just posted..please try again.........Tomorrow

Give me a couple of hours to read the bregs on this one.

You are saying because you haven't got a back door to the kitchen they cannot install the cooker :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
It would depend on the overall height, width & length of your kitchen,if it was o.k before & you have now extended, there will be no probs..it`s a flueless appliance.

It's quite simple what you have asked about is can you have a gas cooker when there is a conservatory built on extra which means that the original door to outside and the original openable window no longer lead outside but into the conservatory.

the answer is no if you don't have sufficient ventilation dependent on your room size.

Oven,Grill,Hotplate...or any combination in a room without a door direct to outside..Less than 5m3.. 100 cm2 ventilation required. 5m3 to 10m3...50cm2 vent required.. 10m3 to 20m3...ventilation not required ;)

BS 6172-2004.

Flueless cooking appliances in an internal kitchen

Where a flueless cooking appliance is installed in an internal kitchen, ventilation shall be in accordance with Approved Document F (15) to the Building Regulations and, in Scotland, Technical Standard K for compliance with the Building Standards 9Scotland) Regulations (16)

more later

Just added that to `favourites`..will read at later date, when I can be a*rsed, will come in very handy though, think my Viper book is out of date...

just down down loaded this from the corgi web site,

Ventilation for flueless appliances

Flueless appliances are still popular and are used all over the country in varying sizes. The ventilation required for a flueless appliance will depend on the size of the appliance as well as the area in which the appliance is installed.

If a flueless appliance is portable then ventilation should be provided in every room that the appliance might be connected (see table 3 for ventilation requirements).

Ventilation of non-habitable rooms not containing openable windows

In kitchens and utility rooms not containing openable windows, in England and Wales the requirement will be met with either:

_ Mechanical extract ventilation rated at 30 litres/sec adjacent to a hob or 60 litres/sec elsewhere, and the fan has a 15 minutes overrun and is either controlled automatically or manually; or
_
(a) Two vents in series
(b) Three or more vents in series
(c) Three or more vents in series feeding a compartment

_ Passive stack ventilation operated manually and/or automatically by sensor or controller; or

_ An open-flued heating appliance with adequate ventilation provided.

Note: an air inlet should be provided, e.g. 10 mm gap under the door for all 3 methods. In rooms with no natural light it would be appropriate for the fan to controlled by the operation of the light switch.

Ventilation via more than one internal wall will require vents in series.

Air vents passing through internal walls will require any obstruction within the air vent opening to be removed. Internal walls which have insulation in them will have to be sleeved so as to stop any insulation from falling and fouling/blocking the vent.

In figure (a) typical example of two vents in series. Vents passing through more than 1 internal wall will require the vents to be enlarged by at least 50% over that of the vent direct to outside air. Examples of vents through more than 1 internal wall are shown in figure (b) and (c).

Location and positioning of ventilators

Ventilation routes should always be, where practicable, direct to outside air from the internal space into which the appliance is situated. Where an air vent is fitted in an internal wall, the vent should not be higher than 450mm from floor level; this is to help prevent the spread of smoke to other parts of the building in the event of a fire. The gas operative has to consider the effects that the installation of an air vent could have on the structure of the building or its occupant(s).

The location chosen for the ventilation provisions should be sympathetic to the occupants needs, i.e. not placed in an area that would provoke the occupant(s) to block or obstruct the vents due to cold draughts or noise transmission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back