Electric v Mixture Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help. I want to install a shower upstairs. The house is located in Brittany. The cold water pressure is high and this feeds into a hot water tank - which presumably is under relatively high pressure. Question 1. Could I install a mixer shower upstairs. The shower head would be approx 4 feet above the hot water tank outlet - would there be enough pressure. Question 2. If there wouldn't be enough pressure I could install an electric shower. The highest rating that I can find locally is 3W. Apparently this is OK so folk say because the water pressure is high - I can't quite get my head around that just yet. Anyway, what do you reckon - what are my options.
My best wishes and thanks.

Its more of a plumbing question, so i have moved it, and it is NOT a UK electric question (since it is related to France)

Sponsored Links
Billi said:
The highest rating that I can find locally is 3W.

are you sure about that? my car tail light is brighter than that (3w)

If you have a high pressure unvented system, then that would be a better route to take, it is very rare an electric can better this, especially if you only have access to 3kw. Most uk domestic showers operate at 7 kw upwards.

Are you able to set up a temporary shower off of some bath taps using one of those cheap rubber mixer things?? This can give you an idea of what to expect with a mixer.

Billi said:
Can anyone help. I want to install a shower upstairs. The house is located in Brittany. The cold water pressure is high and this feeds into a hot water tank - which presumably is under relatively high pressure. Question 1. Could I install a mixer shower upstairs. The shower head would be approx 4 feet above the hot water tank outlet - would there be enough pressure.
Have a look round outside ..is there a tall concrete structure like a funnell shape near to the town? it`s a tour de l`eau........and I was well impressed by the way they deliver water from them while holidaying in France and also their railways, road engineering , bridges etc. ;) :LOL:...Tour D`Eiffell ain`t bad either

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Have a look round outside ..is there a tall concrete structure like a funnell shape near to the town? it`s a tour de l`eau........and I was well impressed by the way they deliver water from them while holidaying in France

not as good as
p_tower.jpg
this one

yes it is a genuine water tower, in America, of course

more details are here

The highest rating that I can find locally is 3W. Apparently this is OK so folk say because the water pressure is high - I can't quite get my head around that just yet.
You're right, that's recipe for a high pressure tepid shower.
The only place I've seen 3kW showers is Belgium, same mentality I suppose.

4ft head gravity showers can be just reasonable, if you have really low resistance fittings - ie pipes and mixer designed for it. May be hard to get in France but OK in UK. Mira 88 comes to mind but is old - I'm not up to date.

grrinc - thanks I did as you suggested and the water pressure turned out to be really good. chrisr - thanks it was as you said the best option - we managed to get good fittings here. I now have a mixture shower fed from the mains cold and pressurised hot water - no need for an electric option - thats why there are no power showers and so few electric showers in the shops. Thanks to you both for giving me the push to do it.

Bill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back