water damage to wood block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would really appreciate your advice on this. I moved into my 30's semi three weeks ago. I bought it because all the period features were in situ, including original pine wood block floors to all the ground floor. I sanded them in preparation for varnishing...but disaster struck last weekend. The cold water tank split whilst I was out at work. I came home to a flood...and now, all the floors on the ground floor have water stains and damage. My insurers have set up dehumidifiers and fans to dry it all out; but will only say that they can sand the floor after drying is complete, and this "may" remove the stains. I want to save the floors if I can - where should I go for advice? What can I do? What should I ask of my Insurers? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Depending on how long the water has been on the wood blocks (and pine is soft, so will have absorbed lots) the water marks can penetrate very deep into the wood.
If sanding doesn't clear the black marks, you could ask your insurer for replacement floor or blocks that are too damaged (if you are insured sufficiently that is, and the value of the floor has been correctly calculated and added to the total sum). For a replacement floor (or the occasional blocks that are too damaged) find a reclaim yard.

Thanks for your reply, WYL. Well I've got £500,000 buildings cover, and £50,000 contents...so it should be covered, yes?

The Loss Adjuster is coming to see me on Monday, I will point out the stains and ask about replacement flooring.

Some people have been saying to me, "it's a good thing, the flood, because you will be able to get things done that you wouldn't have had, without insurance". I just can't see it, myself: I will have to live with all the mess and disruption for weeks yet, whilst everything dries out. I don't know how other folk 'inflate' their claims: I can only think of the things that were truly damaged, and would feel bad if I fabricated anything.

What I would have preferred best is that the flood never happened! All my decorating has to be postponed, the house is a mess and I can't do anything about it until it's dry...pah! And even reclaimed wood block isn't the same as having the original flooring in place. But that's life I guess: one step forward, two steps back. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back