Central Heating - One Pipe System

but would it not be more efficient for the two pipe system anyway as to the old fashioned loop ststem

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
The OP has had work done possibly by a 10 week plumber( not a reference to you) who now wants another 400 quid to put right his cook-up.

Then we get a load of stupid advice about balancing systems, blah,blah and then you think it's funny hahaha, well I don't, 400 quid is a lot of money to some people.

It wasn`t stupid advice & I know very well how a one pipe system works..it was the correct advice given until you started crowing about the T.R.V`s, a point I, & others missed.. it doesn`t mean we are incompetent..I am learning on here more & more now to scrutinise every enquiry made & in turn my response given. I threw in a joke knowing full well that you were already correct...I don`t think it is funny..I tried my best to help the original poster given the circumstances of his particular problem in the way that I had interpreted them..wrongly.. I am not as experienced as you DIA..but don`t believe for a minute that I am not as capable or as qualified..(Domestic wise)..

My reply wasn't aimed at you BG although you may have got the brunt of it :LOL:

Plumber did try blocking off radiators upstairs (which worked to some extent but not a solution) plus slowing the pump down, turning boiler on full, checking boiler pressure, etc. None of these had any real effect in making all downstairs radiators hot.

The ten week plumber turned the upstairs rads off, obviously trying to get water elsewhere, logical thinking :LOL: so why the hell did he turn the pump down :eek:

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all the advice that's been posted - I'm very grateful.
Doitall - I will contact you via your profile after the weekend if that OK.
Thanks.

micky p said:
god people are so **** on here. Is this supposed to be a forum where people help each other out. :rolleyes:

Indeed it is micky, and that is why I suggested the OP contacts me direct, without the distraction of Treloar and his brethren. :LOL:

Lets get the system working by asking the right questions, and then you can explain how to balance thesystem if it needs it.

Please also remember that the installer is going to be expected to retify his mistakes at his cost, to do that I need to know what and how its been installed.

Psssst for the brethren, The Treloar set of books are in my opinion the Best.

Doitall managed to sort this - for which I am very grateful.

After some diagnostics, we discovered that my plumber had fitted 2-way thermostatic valves on the return.

So, we had two options :

a) either purchase full flow thermostatic valves designed for use in one-pipe systems - see http://www.danfoss-randall.co.uk/site/downloads/vd51Q102.pdf
or
b) replace the thermostatic valves with lockshield valves

We chose b), did a bit of balancing and it now works OK.
:D

Would just like to add, the plumber in question, listened to what I had to say and made the alterations at no cost.

How reassuring to know there's still a few honest guys in the trade.

Top marks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back