tiling bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a power shower going into a bath with glass door and am about to tile the bathroom, after reading this post i began to worry - shower is on plasterboard wall which is skimmed, if you can't use aquapanel because the walls up and ready can i use pva sealer for the skimmed wall and will it be sufficient.
Thanks

please do not hi jack posts (forum rule 20)
your post has been split and edited

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong with superstrengh pva and isn't this just the same as dunlops. Plus i'm using waterproof ceramic cement should'nt this combined with pva and silicone do the job?

NO "waterproof" tile adhesive and "waterproof" grout are porus. The term waterproof when used in this context means that they will not deteriorate when wet.

PVA sits on the surface and becomes live again when wet, read this

A tanking system is the way to go, I tend to use the BAl one which is similar to the Dunlop, both are like a liquid rubber that form a water tight barrier between the wall and your tiles.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Are there any other brands apart from the Dunlop sealant? Or alternative treatments? I am in a similar position to the original poster, my bathroom shower used to be a massive (disabled) acrylic unit, which I have now removed (exposing the plasterboard stud wall) and replace with a new showerbath.

I asked in B&Q if they sold something similar and drew blank looks :rolleyes:

Just bought bal WP1 from Tile flair, had the same experience with my local B&Q. Try a big tile supplies shop

seank
the Diy Sheds are ok for simple basic stuff , but hopeless for things not on shelves or advice ,

The guys at Topps Tiles seem to be the only ones who know what they are talking about in my area. I went to two other tiling/plumbing suppliers and they tried to palm me off with PVA size and waterproof grout. One guy even advised me to scratch the plasterboard as a key for the tiles :eek:

Hopefully the BAL kit will do the job. Thanks to all here for the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back