Cooker hood with no earth wire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought this Luxair cooker hood which I notice doesn't have an earth wire, even though the case is stainless steel, and the control buttons are also metal. Is this OK?

Sponsored Links
Quick learner said:
I've bought this Luxair cooker hood which I notice doesn't have an earth wire, even though the case is stainless steel, and the control buttons are also metal. Is this OK?

look for the double insulated symbol. its a box in a box. found it? no earth needed.

'look for the double insulated symbol. its a box in a box. found it? no earth needed.'

The box is covered with obscure symbols but no double boxes! :confused: Would it be on the hood itself? It's temporarily hung on the wall right now, but will be taken down again on Wed when I can have a proper look.

No definite information on the luxair dot com site. Best bet is to go to their site and ask them the question.
All the hoods I've worked on (never worked on luxair) have had earth to them and the motors have been earthed to the hood.

Sponsored Links
Sleepyhead said:
No definite information on the luxair dot com site. Best bet is to go to their site and ask them the question.
All the hoods I've worked on (never worked on luxair) have had earth to them and the motors have been earthed to the hood.

I've just phoned them (emailed them as well for a written reply!), and they've assured me that it's perfectly safe. Apparently the Italians have their own regulations for covering this subject, but I queried if what was OK for the Italians was it OK for us! Got a definite YES -- quite safe. :confused:
I must say I'd rather have a stronger reassurance than that!!

Thanks for your help and advice. : :p

Quick learner said:
Sleepyhead said:

I've just phoned them (emailed them as well for a written reply!), and they've assured me that it's perfectly safe. Apparently the Italians have their own regulations for covering this subject, but I queried if what was OK for the Italians was it OK for us! Got a definite YES -- quite safe. :confused:

we have much higher standards. unless its specifically designed to be double insulated, then it should be earthed.

simon_d said:
Quick learner said:
Sleepyhead said:

we have much higher standards. unless its specifically designed to be double insulated, then it should be earthed.

Thanks for that. I'll have a word with the electrician and suggest he earths it -- I'd certainly be happier about it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back