Heat exchanger

croydoncorgi said:
OK - now several people (except possibly WS!) are agreed that the original advice was c**p, how do we warn the OP (who has only ever posted once) that there's a serious potential problem?

No firm info on the system. It sounded as if it has a copper coil heat exchanger for warm air take off. You probably don't know anything about these.

Sponsored Links
Water Systems said:
You probably don't know anything about these.

Probably not going to need to as it seems fairly obvious that its a simple wau / wh.

You, sir, are both arrogant and (apparently) unable to read. You are also, it appears, not knowledgeable about the warm air system about which you chose to offer faulty advice.

You would do well to withdraw and consider your position.

In the FIRST LINE of the original posting, the OP stated that it was a warm air system with a separate heat exchanger for hot water. This would cover several types, MOST of which must NOT be treated with anything that could affect the quality of the DHW.

Your latest offering:
It sounded as if it has a copper coil heat exchanger for warm air take off
is evidently an attempt to hide your blushes rather than an honest misinterpretation of what the OP actually wrote.

From my own direct, personal experience of a number of J&S and similar warm-air systems installed within less than a mile of where I live, Primatic cylinders are a common method of providing hot water. Amongst other work, I have in fact REMOVED one such Primatic cylinder and replaced it with a pumped, indirect cylinder, a) because Primatic replacements are ridiculously expensive and b) to improve hot water recovery time over the previous gravity system.

So again - please withdraw your offensive comments, apologise for your error, or do what I suggested elsewhere!

I think this thread has now been adequately covered - always assuming the OP has read it - and I have nothing more to add whatever you post in response.

Water Systems said:
It sounded as if it has a copper coil heat exchanger for warm air take off. You probably don't know anything about these.

I should expect not !

Perhaps there were once copper coil air-air heat exchangers but that, if it ever was, would have been in history on account of the prohibitive cost perhaps during the 1930s.

People currently working the industry on this forum have experiences going back as far as 46 years in the case of DIA.

If copper coil devices were ever used in warm air units that that must be an extremely long time ago as DIA cannot remember ever seeing any.

Tony

Sponsored Links
croydoncorgi said:
You, sir, are both arrogant

Thank you.

<snip tripe>

It is clear you are intellectually challenged. Have you tried getting a job on the milk?

Agile said:
Water Systems said:
It sounded as if it has a copper coil heat exchanger for warm air take off. You probably don't know anything about these.

I should expect not !

You shouldn't?

Perhaps there were once copper coil air-air heat exchangers but that, if it ever was,

Copperad made them. Copper coil heat exchangers are common in air handling units. Above your intellect and experience that is certain as BIASI don't make them.

wtf has a ahu got to do with warm air heating and a circulator for hot water in a domestic house ,being posted on a diy forum :rolleyes: keep digging and you may reach china tomorrow :rolleyes:

Water Systems is getting confused with Fan Coil units!

They politely call that "Senior Moments".

Domestic warm air gas powered heaters use a steel heat exchanger which you need to check carefully for corrosion holes if you work on them.

Tony

Agile said:
Water Systems is getting confused with Fan Coil units!

They politely call that "Senior Moments".

Domestic warm air gas powered heaters use a steel heat exchanger Tony

Do they? All of them?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I didnt mean to start a fight!
My heater unit is a Halstead G46 with heat exchanger. The copper tank is vented to the cold water tank in the loft. My problem would appear to be a blocked heat exchanger. I will remove and clean. Is it common for a hot water cylinder to become blocked with scale? If it needs replacing I will call in a proffessional

The issue that's still unknown (and the cause of the unnecessary 'fight')here is the TYPE of copper cylinder you've got. Is the word 'primatic' on any tank labels, etc.? Can you see how the pipes from the warm-air unit connect to the cylinder? If it's the 'primatic' type, there will be two 22 or 28mm diameter pipes connected one above the other low down on the side of the cylinder, with no associated vent or feed connections? I'm assuming there's a cold supply to the cylinder right at the bottom and the outlet to the taps and vent pipe from the top.

If it looks anything like this, you must NOT put any descaler into any part of the system with the pipes connected - it'll contaminate the hot water supply.

Also, if you attempt to disconnect the heat exchanger to descale it off the warm-air unit, you must first drain the hot water cylinder. Or you'll be paddling.

Because of the (partial) connection inside a primatic cylinder between 'primary' and 'secondary' parts, it is possible to get calcium diffusing into the primary water over time, leading to limescale in the heat-exchanger. Symptom of this will be long heat-up time for hot water. You may be able to descale the HX (but it'll be messy and you've then got to get it back onto the warm-air unit and leak-tight).

There may also be a lot of limescale in the cylinder - because the system is basically un-controlled, they tend to get overheated and limescale lying thick in the bottom of the cylinder results. Symptoms will be long heat-up AND usually less hot water available - the limescale in the cylinder means there's less space for water.

isnt a kwik way of telling if you have a primatic tank the absence of a feed and expansion cistern in the loft??

Do you have one big tank and one small tank in your loft, if you have only the biggun then it must be a primatic!!!!

gawd I hated those things

:oops: Yes - obviously! Look for a second (small) tank in roof-space.

I DID think of this but was trying to include the (unlikely) possibility of a DIRECT heated cylinder. It MIGHT still be one of these - but if the warm-air system HX lasted longer than a year or so - unlikely. IMHO, a Primatic is still favourite.

I removed a warm air system that had a small water circulator and it was not on a primatic so there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back