Silk varnishing doors - disappointing finish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are replacing all the "Victorian" 6 panel doors with a more modern 4 panel pine door veneered in oak. On the first door we applied 3 coats of silk varnish, carefully rubbed down then dusted off between coats. It looks superb, a lovely smooth silky sheen, not glossy, just like the doors you see in new hotels, airports etc.

The second door a few months later didn't go so well. Coats 1 & 2 were fine but coat 3 looks a bluddy mess. If you view it so that the light reflects off it, the surface is inconsistent, rough and looks like I went over it again when it was half dry (which I certainly didn't!)

I'm wondering if this is because by the time I did coat 3 of door 2 I'd reached the bottom of the can and the varnish was a bit thick? It certainly didn't seem to spread as easily as before. I wonder if I should have dropped in 10% of white spirit to help it flow? Would this be a good idea generally for the final coat, taking care of course not to let it drip?

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
You wrote, "more modern 4 panel pine door veneered in oak" ! Is the doors veneered ? i.e. not solid wood..............

Yes.... veneered in oak!

Another thought strikes me: I did the varnishing during the recent hot weather. I wonder if the varnish was going off so fast that even going back for my final brush-over was dragging the surface?

RigidRaider said:
Yes.... veneered in oak!

Another thought strikes me: I did the varnishing during the recent hot weather. I wonder if the varnish was going off so fast that even going back for my final brush-over was dragging the surface?

Yes...sounds like you weren't fast enough in applying it.
Never thin the final coat if you want a good loooking door.

Rub it down with wet'n'dry sandpaper and have another go....work swiftly. ;)

Sponsored Links
Has the doors came with any Painting/Varnishing recomendations ?

What do you mean by 'silk varnish' by the way?

The doors come with instructions that say they need three coats of varnish or paint to prevent them from drying out and cracking. The instructions even say that you must varnish inside the lock and hinge cutouts.

Silk varnish is like silk paint; it's half way between gloss and matt. We don't like gloss as it shows imperfections. A room painted in matt emulsion with silk woodwork looks smart and understated.

You will prob find if you coat over the Satin varnish with a Matt Varnish, then the Matt will hade most (if not all) imperfections.

And the matt will give you a lovely natural looking finish.

papergirl said:
Just like yourself Zampa! ;)

Yes maybe, but I didnt mention it also takes three months to properly go hard either!... :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as silk varnish, unless its a new product, do you mean satinwood varnish?

I would suggest if you want a natural finish, other than waxing, I would go for a matt finish, and I would do at leat two coats.

I have varnished loads of oak doors, oak, and oak veneered, and I find the best product is a matt finish, but it depnds on the individual, but if I had to choose, it would be matt all the way. :D

Yes, I mean satin. We have used matt and somehow don't like it as much. We are trying to achieve a finish that looks smooth and professional like a well waxed surface but not brilliantly shiny. Above all I like the feel of a satin varnished door, cool and smooth to the touch. I wish I could post some photos to explain this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back