DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Boiler Flue Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netto

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Hello all, once more! My boiler (oil fired) flue exits the house on quite an exposed wall. When the wind blows quite strongly their is a strong smell of fumes coming back into the kitchen - whilst the wall surrounding the flue is a little leaky, I think the wind is basically blowing right down the flue and pushing the fumes back into the house, as i can find no apparent leak on the boiler itself...

Now, I assume you can by a different 'exhaust' to fit to combat this problem...maybe something with baffles that is less affected by the wind!? Thoughts...??

Netto icon_cool.gif
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Alfredo

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote

I'd do two things

1)Get hold of an oftec engineer to assess the situation..hopfully with the boiler manual/installation guide to hand.
2) Ask him to speak to the boiler manufacturers about fluing options to see if they have a 'fix'.

Don't mess with the flue in any other way than is acceptable to the boiler manufacturer.

Whether there is a cure for the problem may be another matter entirely.

Alfredo
 Alert Moderators
COG

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote

What type of oil boiler and what type of flue,conventional flue rising of the top of the boiler,a balanced flue usually square and will have two sets of grilles or slots when intake and one exaust or a low level discharge often mixed up with the balanced flue but will have only one set of grilles or louvers for the exaust the air inlet is supplied from the room to the intake of the burner . The low level is the best candidate to give problems if poorly sited or fitted.
 Alert Moderators
Netto

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice..the flue exits top of boiler then right angle quite quickly to exit thru kitchen wall - flue is box shaped, but have noticed that exhaust within boxing is usual cylindrical shape...cowl on external flue is box shaped and has a horizontal v, I assume to combat the very problem of weather penetrating the flue!

As I said, the problem only occurs when v windy, blowing in direction of wall that flue is located on...Boiler is a Camray Compact...
 Alert Moderators
ididdidi

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear then youv'e got to speak to Worcester Bosch and they haven't a clue what is going on with the Boulter boilers no chance, or am i being a bit cynical.
If all goes well they will um and ah a bit and put you onto spare parts and hope they can sort it out for you. icon_confused.gif

Cheers
 Alert Moderators
Netto

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote

ididdidi wrote:
Oh dear then youv'e got to speak to Worcester Bosch and they haven't a clue what is going on with the Boulter boilers no chance, or am i being a bit cynical.
If all goes well they will um and ah a bit and put you onto spare parts and hope they can sort it out for you. icon_confused.gif

Cheers

Does this 'Oh dear' mean the company are a bit pump, or the boiler is!? icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
COG

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Worcester have only recently inherited Boulter boilers when bort out by Bosch so are still picking up the bits.
You still have not said the make and model ?
 Alert Moderators
Netto

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote

COG wrote:
Worcester have only recently inherited Boulter boilers when bort out by Bosch so are still picking up the bits.
You still have not said the make and model ?

I'm sure I already said Camray Compact...! icon_rolleyes.gif icon_wink.gif Made by Boulter Boilers Ltd of Ipswich icon_cool.gif

No wind tonight, and boilers is doing its job nicely...! icon_rolleyes.gif
 Alert Moderators
Netto

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote

Bump...
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: