Problem with my Potterton Suprima 50 Boiler and locking out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new to this forum & know absolutely nothing about boilers & central heating so here's my problem.

We are having major problems with our Potterton Suprima 50 Boiler at the moment. We have no hot water or central heating as it keeps locking out even 2 mins after a re-set!

Luckily we have British Gas 3* cover & they have sent an engineer out who told us that the pcb was faulty & needed replacing, he did this with the new & improved pcb with the one multi coloured led but the problem persists. The Bg engineer has been back & scratched his head a few times!!! he then went up into the airing cupboard & looked at what I think was the pump? a square white box about the size of a tennisball connected to the mains & sat on top of a pipe. the box has a slider on the front sating Auto to the left & manual to the right. There are also 2 orange led's on top, one for hot water, one for central heating. Is this the pump??

The BG engineer seems to think that the pump is not switching or operating properly??? could this bea reason for the constant lockouts if th e pcb has been replaced?

is there anything else I should mention to him?

I look forward to your replies & advice.

Regards
R2oo :)

Sponsored Links
This illustrates the level of competence of BG staff!

You have benefited from his incompetence by having a £180 new PCB fitted at no extra cost to yourself!

The part you describe is the motor valve!

He would be better to look at the pump which may be a larger reddish or grey or bright green colour!

Its probably faulty. If you could spin the shaft it might get it working again. ( See FAQ )

Tony

Hell that was quick Tony.....very impressed.
Is the pump also situated in the airing cupboard?

Could be, but not necessarily. If pump's dead you would expect overheating, whch would probably make a bubbling/boiling noise. Could be fauty sensors or one or two other things though.

Sponsored Links
Its a little difficult for me to say which pocket you keep your wallet in!

However the pump is probably either near the HW cylinder or near the boiler! Since its mounted on a pipe from the boiler it should not be difficult to find!

I will give you a clue apart from the colour! Its generally "roundish" !

It might also have one of the names, grunfoss, SMC, celsia, wilo, circulating pumps, but that would be a givaway!

Tony

Since he changed the pcb< when the boiler fires up, just before it locks out it does some heavy banging & bumping. & the central heating doesn't work at all!

r2oo said:
Since he changed the pcb< when the boiler fires up, just before it locks out it does some heavy banging & bumping. & the central heating doesn't work at all!

I wonder if he wired the pump back up correctly as it gets its power via the boiler (or is supposed to)

I wonder if he wired the pump back up correctly as it gets its power via the boiler (or is supposed to)[/quote]

He hasn't touched the pump yet. only replaced the PCB and then seems to have pulled the motor valve off the pipe mounting it was sat on!! don't know why?

mmm

whats the betting he cocked up the wiring to the new board, if he did not pop the pump feed in the right place then it aint going to work

Did he put the top back on the motorised valve??!

Here's a pump :
6b_1.JPG

ChrisR said:
Did he put the top back on the motorised valve??!

He has actually pulled the whole motorised valve off the pipe and left it hanging over the pipe!
The pump is definately in the Airing cupboard under the motoerised valve.

One thing I noticed this morning apart from the usual lockout on the boiler was that the pipework on which the motorised valve is located was absolutely boiling. Yet still no hot water! on closer inspection the motorised valve plastic cover looks warped & cracked, as if it has melted slightly sitting over the heat. :confused:
Got another BG engineer coming today, anything I should tell him?

Tell him we think the pump is not working!

If he is over 23 he may not welcome being told how to do his job!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back