Skirting Boards Old and Painted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

i have bought an old victorian house with lovely old skirting boards trouble is half of them are different to the other side of the room so i need some more

an idea's

i also need to sand them down and get the paint off as they have been painted over loads of times by the look of it, sanding is not an option as they are not flat they are the old type you know tall will groves and curved at the top

what do we think of paint stripper is it any good, i once seen someone paint on something and the paint all bubbled away is this the right stuff if so where and how much.

Also i will be painting them white again so it does not have to be brill but i want to tidy them up a lot.

Many Thanks
Seanie

Sponsored Links
To be honest with you for all the grief and time involved I would personally rip them out and replace them with new ones to suit the style of your hall.

Paint stripping is a time consuming and messy job and given that a decent 5 litre tin will set you back about 30 quid it makes the case for replacing more of an option.

Sanding has its risks...being an old place they will robably have a few coats of lead paint on them.

I too would pull them out... sanding and stripping then in place is a terrible job.

If they are architecturally original and you want to keep them, strip and sand them in the garden. You can also prime and undercoat them out there, laid flat you will find it easier than in the house.

If you have a good timber merchant nearby, ask if they can match your old profile (or know someone who can). When I had an old house the local yard would accumulate orders from several homeowners, then set up their spindle cutter to make a batch.

I had some skirting board made at a local DIY store last year. They made a perfect match and it was not expensive

Sponsored Links
i think i will take all of your good advice and rip all of my skirting boards out and get some new ones, they are a bit tatty and charachter is nice but not when it looks horrid.
i will have to get some paint stripper for the doors though.

the weird thing about old houses is the skirting seems to be built into the wall they plaster right to the top of it, it does not sit on the wall but under it.

Thanks for all your help

mylittlehouse said:
i think i will take all of your good advice and rip all of my skirting boards out and get some new ones, they are a bit tatty and charachter is nice but not when it looks horrid.
i will have to get some paint stripper for the doors though.

the weird thing about old houses is the skirting seems to be built into the wall they plaster right to the top of it, it does not sit on the wall but under it.
Thanks for all your help

Dirty filthy habit..I hate that

Make sure you chip about half an inch of the plaster away as it tends to have a bit of a ridge on it at the bottom.

could you please explaine what you mean i have no idea
im just going to take of the old ones and put new ones up and get my uncle to plaster up to them

Where the wall meets your old skirting you can sometimes get a build up of paint/plaster, sometimes leaving a ridge which stop the shirting fitting flush against the wall.

oh i get you lol

i think i will take the old ones off and get try and put them on a bit further away than flush in the wall.
my biggest dilema is to have the old wood floor or carpet lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back