Concrete Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i stay in an old property- at the front door i have a skirting which is made of concrete ! ! - i removed the gloss paint from them the best i can using paint stripper and sanding the question is now was the best application to get them glossed up white again ? - any advice on undercoat etc?

Sponsored Links
Are they right back to the bare cement?...if so id go for a coat of alkali resisting primer followed by a couple of undercoats and a gloss.

i ve tried my best to take them right back to the concrete although difficult! ive tried to use on of those paint removing pads you stick in a drill- which causes a hell of a mess but seems to work - on the primar - is there a certain make i should go for and also ? excuse me for being slow - how do i know it its alkali resist?

Any make will do..and its actually called alkali resisting primer.

If you cant get it back to the concrete then give it a good wash down to neutrakise the stripper, rub it down and undercoat it, then fill..undercoat again and then your topcoat.

Sponsored Links
Slightly off-post........

I came across concrete skirtings in an old property, all in pretty good nick and just needed a sand for key and a wash down, but they looked totally out of keeping with the rest of the house.

I fitted picture rail (upside down) on top of the skirtings, took the fine ridge off the back, caulked the gap and painted them up - took a few decades off the ambiance!

I did this in another place where there were BT wires and cables all over the top of the square-cut skirtings. Covered them up no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back