Disconnecting washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone! I'm very pleased to have found this forum. Just bought a house and I'm no expert in DIYing so some tips are welcome!

I am having a new washer/dryer delivered tomorrow - Hotpoint. I have disconnected the hot and cold pipes from the back of my old machine, having turned off the supply. However, my problem lies with the over flow. I do not know what to disconnect.

Any tips?

Cheers,
mrtomato.

Sponsored Links
By overflow I assume you mean drain. Is it a stand pipe or a spigot under the sink? If it's a spigot you need to block it off until the new machine is installed. For a stand pipe, you don't have to do anything.

Apologies in advance for my basic knowledge! There's a grey ribbed pipe coming out from the bottom of the machine. This feeds into the bottom of my sink. This pipe disappears into the washer and at the other end is fixed. Which end should I disconnect??

The sink end, and blank off the the spigot or water will pour out under your sink when you use it.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming that the blokes fitting thr new one tomorrow will connect a new overflow to the spiggot, so if I disconnect it right before they arrive that will suffice? Trouble is, as the thing is ribbed it is locked tight onto the spiggot and I can't get it off unless I cut it. Is that a problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back