ferroli modena 102 shuts down

The last posting implies that "no special tools" are required.

Whilst that may be technically correct, a meter to measure the gas burner pressure IS required together with the expertise to set the gas valve minimum and maximum gas pressures.

Thats normally the province of a CORGI.

Raden dont forget the Chinese!

Tony

Sponsored Links
how can I measure pressure without special tools ?
I do have the manual.

---

guys, what signals control the gas valve ? I think if I measure them with the old board and then adjust the new one to give the same, that would do the trick.

thanks very much in advance on any guidance.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't jump straight in and replace the pcb, have you looked for dry joints on the old board? Have you checked the electrodes are in good condition ie not dirty, corroded or broken and that they are also in the flame? the flame itself completes a circuit between the electrodes but we are only talking about tiny values in voltage and current, so if there is a problem with this circuit ( flame rectification ) then the boiler shuts down. The only thing is that normally it fires back up again after this intervention and because your boiler isn't, then we can't say for certain that this is the problem. I am not familiar with the boiler and its reaction to flame sensing, so maybe it is that the boiler locks out if it thinks there is no flame.

Andy.

I checked it all, inspected the board for dry joints as well.

I would think that even if the boiler shuts down because it doesn't sense the flame, shouldn't display an error by lighting up the "boiler shut down" LED ?

also, the manual says that the flame should modulate. does that mean that the amount of gas coming through the gas valve is adjusted gradually, or it just goes on and off all the time (PWM mode) ?

klapaucius said:
I checked it all, inspected the board for dry joints as well.

I would think that even if the boiler shuts down because it doesn't sense the flame, shouldn't display an error by lighting up the "boiler shut down" LED ?

As i said i am not familiar with the boiler so i can't say how the boiler would react to flame failure!

On hot water mode the boiler modultes the flame to give the correct heat required for the desired hot water temp.

acs-newbie said:
On hot water mode the boiler modultes the flame to give the correct heat required for the desired hot water temp.

the question was what does "modulate" mean in that context. I found the gas valve datasheet and it looks like it can vary the amount of gas gradually. it looks like there are simply two solenoids, hence 4 wires.

how likely is the valve being broken, despite the fact that the burner works okay for seconds before shutdown ?

the questions you are asking would imply you do not hold relevant qualifications or knowledge about gas.i would suggest you contact a corgi registered installer to sort this problem out for you sorry i cannot be more helpfull.

bripl said:
the questions you are asking would imply you do not hold relevant qualifications or knowledge about gas

would you be more spicific, what was exactly wrong with the question(s) ? I thought the whole point of this forum was to make people know more, not to be all cocky towards people interested.

I fixed the problem btw.

all the tools req to carry out the most basic of tasks would be carried by a rgi ,if you do not understand the terms used this made me assume [maybe incorrectly]that you did not have the knowledge or knowhow to do this task. setting up a modena pcb mf03 can be a fiddly job it also involves work on the gas side which needs careful consideration to the safe operation of the boiler. i was not being cocky just concerned about your lack of understanding of the terms used,this is being cocky its your house your boiler blow them to ferk i will not lose any sleep over it :LOL:

how about explaining the terms ? is it much more difficult/time consuming than writing what you just wrote ?

re blowing up: of course I am not going to touch the gas circuit. I was checking the sensors/electronics and asking questions about operation.

re being cocky: this is exactly what you were and are doing. when people ask me questions in my area of expertise I feel that it would be simply silly to behave like that and try my best to explain things that are much more complex than your "mysteries of gas".

There are people in here who consider themselves to be guardians of the sacred knowledge

In reality, there's little that is beyond the capabilities of most people

... they just don't know any better

thanks raden.

would you be so kind to explain, how do I check modulation ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back