Bathroom Extractor + Light in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a light and extractor fan in our shower cubicle (shower itself is not electric).

The fan and light come on when we pull a 45A double pole cord switch.

My wife pulled the cord off, so I thought I'd just open it all up and tie it up inside. Took the switch off the ceiling, opened up the middle bit - everything fell out - springs, all sorts. Had a go, gave up :rolleyes: .

Bought a new one.

Now the question (finally!):

There are only only 3 wires coming into this box - earth, neutral, live. So I can't wire up as per diagram, which shows separate wires incoming and outgoing supply & load.

Whoever put the original up just had a separate bit of wire between the load L & N connectors. (I think it was between these, but being a dunce I did not write it down before dismantling.... :oops: )

So it was just acting as a normal switch really?

I have done the same thing and attached the incoming wires to supply terminals.

When I turn it on, the shower fan and shower light come on, but the little red light on the switch does not come on.

1. I can't remember if the little red light came on before. Why doesn't it?
2. Will this configuration cause any problems.
3. Why would someone have done it this way?

:)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
So you have 3 conductors....

Red / Black / Bare Copper

It seems (as you said) that its a normal switch and I dont know why a 45Amp pullcord was used (maybe the previous installers had it spare)

They put the link in the load side of the switch to complete the circuit...

The red indicator light wont work as there is no neutral present (did it work before?)

Red = Live
Black = Switch Live
Copper = Earth

My wife thinks the red indicator light worked before - I think we may just be imagining it!

If I wire it up so that the (Red = Live, Black = Switch Live) are wired to the LOAD connectors and the separate bit of wire goes between L & N Supply connectors, then:

The little red light comes on when the pully is OFF, and it turns off when the pully is ON, but then the shower fan and light come on.

Sort of the opposite of what I wanted, but confuses me!

it works like that because you have no neutral for the neon (red light) so when it is off it back feeds through the fan.

it is nothing to worry about

Sponsored Links
Spot on.....(its picking up a neutral through the lamp when off)

Breezer strikes again.........

Need to learn to type faster.....

Thanks v.much for explaining that guys, very clear :)

I feel a debate about a **&&%$&*& neutral definition coming on again...... don't tell yankey sparky about this thread!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back