Neighbour's gas pipe running through our house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is plumbing related, but perhaps more of a legal type question. I'm not sure if there's anywhere on this forum where it would be better placed, or if anyone knows of a different forum that would be appropriate?

While I'm here though, there is a safety/access angle to this question though, and I'd appreciated the views of any plumbers...

We have recently bought an 1970s ex-council, lower maisonette (ground and first floors). Above is another maisonette, also privately owned, and currently empty and for sale. There is a large steel gas pipe running vertically through our home, through the kitchen and the bedroom above, before disappearing into the ceiling and into the place above.

In the kitchen, there is a gas pipe emerging from the ground which has been capped off (I've checked and it's not live), and it is obvious that the steel pipe originally connected up to this, but now it connects to a newer section of copper, which goes through the outside wall and into a meter box which is located within our boundary on our wall. So basically at some point there has been a leak, and this new section has been inserted, but the steel pipe running through the house has been left.

I guess it's down to the deeds as to whether we have any rights to get this re-routed by anyone. I have had a quick look, and there are clauses about access to pipework, but not being a lawyer, I don't really know what I'm looking at. My question to you guys though, is what are the safety implications of having this big pipe runnign through our house? Obviously it's ugly, and while I'm resigned to boxing it in, this in itself will create access problems in case of a leak. My main worry though, is that there's a huge section of gas pipe in my house, that I have no way of isolating! Should I be concerned?

Any opinions on whether a) the gas board, b) the owner upstairs, c) the council (who own the freehold) might have any responsibility to update this installation? I'd be a lot happier if it could be routed up on the outside of the property, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking. One friend jokingly suggested just cutting it off whilst the place is empty! Or given the cost of gas, tapping into it for our supply! :) Or course this is in jest, but the point is, it's possible.

FYI, the situation with their water main is the same, runs right on up through our house. At least leaking water doesnt kill. :(

Sponsored Links
In theory its the words which matter but pipework is rarely mentioned on Deeds.

The practicality is that it was installed like that and you bought it like that so you accepted it that way.

You could pay to have it rerouted but thats often closer to £1300 and you may not be that concerned when paying something comes into the equation!

Screwed steel pipe is thick and can last at least 100 years if its dry. Its no significant safety hazard as gas is at VERY low pressure.

Tony Glazier

It'a absolutely normal in conversion flats, Tom, even posh ones. As you say they usually end up getting boxed in, but there are safety/legal/corgi issues there in terms of the fire-stopping where it goes through the floors, and possibly ventilating the boxing, which becomes a "duct".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back