inline shower fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read several posts on this subject,but have not found any that quite answer my question.

I am in the process of installing an inline fan above my shower cubical,I have wired it from the lighting circuit via a 3 pole isolation switch, which I have situated outside the bathroom. I want to control the fan using this switch, but was wondering if I have to install 3A FCU and a separate pull cord switch. I don\\\'t want the fan to come on with the light,and I don\\\'t want timer over run.

I have used T&E cable,but the fan has a permanent live terminal for the timer,which I was unaware of when purchasing. To get the fan to run I have put a loop wire between the switched live and permanent live. Is this safe to do or do I need to change the fan,also as the fan has no earth do I terminate the earth at the fan or at the isolation switch.

Any comments appreciated

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
All the inline fan jobbies I've seen are timer type. You could see if they do a non-timer type if you want to save some £££.

No problems strapping the live to the switched live - the fan will run all the time until you cut the supply using your isolation switch.
You must extend the earth right thru to the fan even though it hasnt got an earth terminal - otherwise you (or some sparky in the future) would not be able to test the earth fault loop impedance of the circuit.
And you'll need that to put on the minor works certificate and notify... blah blah blah

jezer said:
I am in the process of installing an inline fan above my shower cubical,I have wired it from the lighting circuit via a 3 pole isolation switch, which I have situated outside the bathroom. I want to control the fan using this switch,
Why?

but was wondering if I have to install 3A FCU
Probably - what do the installation instructions say?

and a separate pull cord switch.
No. Although it might be more useful to have this instead of a switch outside for when people forget to turn the fan on, and don't remember about it until they are in the shower.

I have used T&E cable,but the fan has a permanent live terminal for the timer,which I was unaware of when purchasing. To get the fan to run I have put a loop wire between the switched live and permanent live. Is this safe to do
Yes.

Do you realise that if you are not supplying the fan with L/SL/N you don't need a 3-pole fan isolation switch?

or do I need to change the fan,also as the fan has no earth do I terminate the earth at the fan or at the isolation switch.
At the fan. Don't cut it back.

Any comments appreciated
FCU, switched for isolation, pull switch for operation, lose the 3-pole switch outside.

Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated.

The reason for just using the isolator as the on/off switch for the fan was down to the wife not wanting a pull cord in the ensuite room.The instructions do recommend a 3A FCU,but had already fitted a fan isolator switch,which after reading many posts I thought would be ok. If this is not the case would you recommend that I swap the isolator for a 3A FCU and use that as the on/off switch.

Sponsored Links
jezer said:
The instructions do recommend a 3A FCU,........would you recommend that I swap the isolator for a 3A FCU and use that as the on/off switch.
Yes. If that's what the manufacturer recommends, you, generally, need a good reason for not doing so.

ban-all-sheds said:
FCU, switched for isolation, pull switch for operation, lose the 3-pole switch outside.
You can't say much fairer than this. If you really don't want the pull switch, then just use the switched FCU. Remember, this FCU does not only provide the switching (as your isolator does) it also protects the fan circuit in the event of a fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back