Undoing glued seals/joints in soil pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a great deal of support and advice I am about to solve my leaking wc pan connector with new modern push-fit stuff.
Trouble is that the old pipes have 'glued seals' so I am told. Any ideas how I get them undone or do I saw the old ones??The picture is from above the toilet seat looking down and I have to go from spigot to the soil stack which is seen in top right hand corner of the picture.
Thanks for any help.

im000635xj6.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Sponsored Links
Hopefully I have not 'wasted space' on the site by starting a new topic.
The main reason was that my topic 'leaking between P-bend and soil' ' had quite a few replies (thank god!) and I felt there was a lot of information for folks to plough through. I had achieved a good chance of a solution with a fairly minor problem remaining, namely the glued joints and the undoing thereof or sawing off.
However, I realise this was not a sensible thing and my original problem now does not have an outcome...there were over 300 views of the original posting, so I think I should add a final piece to complete the thread (hopefully reporting complete success)
I now have 3 fittings to do the job...an angled 90 degree connector, a straight extender to the connector and then a long straight to go from the connector to the soil pipe. I can post pics if this is not clear.
The sawing off may take time....I do have a jig saw to help, but there is not much clearance behind the pipe for a normal saw.
Thanks for your help Softus...any final points?? I shall start the job maybe later in week as wife wants me to do stuff in the garden and she enjoys watching me potter about with her plants!(she used to be 'head gardner' before her stroke) (Although if the repair of the wc goes well, it should not take too long I feel)

Sponsored Links
Stokey, it's dead simple. Going from the pan, the first joint to the bent connector is push-fit, as is the last joint into the socket that just projects from the boxed in stack. You can therefore remove this whole section in one piece, then saw off the bent connector (use an ordinary hand saw) at a point that will allow your new bent connector to fit properly. The other fittings you have are not necessary.

Thanks Chris...I hope it all works out when I go for it!!!! I know the fittings are a bit tight for obvious reasons, but a bit of moisture such as water should help.

No Chris...I definitely do not know best!!! But the seal has to be tight I was told not to use stuff like washing-up liquid as a lubricant as this would maybe affect the seal and the alignment.The reason I say it is a tight seal is that the guy at the shop showed me where all the parts went and he had to force them on....but it should be ok.
Very grateful for all the help.

stokey said:
I was told not to use stuff like washing-up liquid as a lubricant as this would maybe affect the seal and the alignment.The reason I say it is a tight seal is that the guy at the shop showed me where all the parts went and he had to force them on....but it should be ok.
I don't know about washing-up liquid affecting seals, but I was one of the people who advised you not to use lubricant other than saliva.

If you really need to lube try KY gel, water based, from any good sex shop.

Hi all, I am going not to use lube...maybe a bit of spit...the small extension goes into the angled fitting ok..I guess it is a question of cutting into the old soil pipe, sliding the fitting off from the spigot and then putting the new stuff onto the spigot and then into the soil pipe.
That is the strategy..hope it goes ok..am too busy today...and tomorrow wife to hospital for check up...I think I will do it on Wednesday...just hope it will all be 'water tight'...!!!!
Thanks again for all help...you folks are very kind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back