Undoing glued seals/joints in soil pipe.

I think the song is from 'Oliver'..Fagin sings "I'm reviewing, the situation..."

So, I'm reviewing, the lubrication...
I don't need it
Coz it goes in on its own...'

I am pretty certain that the most I shall need is a bit of water on the male parts...spigot, and maybe the first of the 'rings' that goes into the soil pipe.

this should not cause any problems...(I hope)
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
stokey said:
I am pretty certain that the most I shall need is a bit of water on the male parts...spigot, and maybe the first of the 'rings' that goes into the soil pipe.
Pan spigot - saliva. Obviously you won't want to lick it, but I'm sure you'll work out a method. ;)

Water - not really a lubricant. On the rubber rings on the male end you could use silicone paste - Multikwik provide a sachet for this purpose.

yes...will get some of that siicon lubricant...

When this job is finished I think we should all have a'topping out ceremony'

Maybe crack a bottle of Davenport's Top Brew Deluxe over it - if they're still around!

Sponsored Links
...with a musical medley no doubt?

Consider yourself....one of us! ;)

Use Silicon grease or vasiline on all the joints as recommended by the manufacturers

I'd vote for no lubricant on the pan spigot. More likely to leak if you do, it has seemed to me. Manufacturers may vary?
Lots of lube on the male end though, it can need a 50kg push!

I wish I could muster a 50kg. push nowadays :oops: ...the multiquik lube used to be a kind of soft soap ;)

doitall said:
Use Silicon grease or vasiline on all the joints as recommended by the manufacturers
What utter tripe.

In the pan connector instructions said:
Do not apply Multikwik lubricant to the pan spigot.

:rolleyes:

I will trust to my sheer power and dexterity to pull/push the thing on its own without lube....after all, if it is likely to leak, then this is where we came in..a bit like the old song 'There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza....'
'There's a leak in the bog pan, dear Stokey dear Stokey.....lol

stokey said:
'There's a leak in the bog pan, dear Stokey dear Stokey.....lol
Aah, I can hear Oliver Reed singing it now...

As today is the first chance I have had of shutting the wc and water off, the job has now started. I have sawn the soil pipe as near to the joint as possible, slid the spigot connector off and then undone the pan at the base.
I have connected the 2 new pieces back...small extension directly onto spigot, angled connector onto small extension and finally the angled connector into the soil.
It was very fiddley and I had to remove the pan to get the spigot end connected up.

I have done about 5 flushes and there are no leaks. The small extension to the connector seems to be at a slight angle, but there is no leak.
The diameter of the new soil pipe is about 20mm less than the old pipe. Is that right? This gap can be filled in with stuff mentiioned previously I assume.
I am ok as it is not leaking at the moment. I have yet to screw the pan to the concrete and am hoping leaks do not develop at this stage. However, so far I do not need a plumber. Even if a small leak appears, I am no worse off and can work on getting it right.
Hope you kind folks are still around. Best wishes from stokey.

Well done stokey - you've done alright. :)

Next job - replacing that pink loo seat. :eek:

The job is nearly done...just got to undo it all as one of the screws to the bottom of the pan seems to have lost the plastic plug...that should be no problem.
However, 'To lube or not to lube, that is the question'....as Hamlet said.

It was a bit of a job to get the first joint over the spigot, and I am inclined to nip to PlumbCentre to get some silicon lubricant. So, the final question....can I use silicon lube to go onto the spigot????

Oh and Softus, there is a story relating to the loo seat. It is about 25 years old and was bought to replace the thin as tissue paper 'school bog' seat put in by the housebuilders. We were having a couple round for a meal and were anxious to impress with a new good solid bog seat - the pink one. Come the end of the evening and our guests having departed, my wife complained................................'and they never even used the new toilet seat!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back