Replacing bathroom suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

How much should I expect topay a plumber to remove my old bathroom suite and replace it with a new one?

The new tiolet, sink and bath will be fitted into exactly the same place as
the old suite items'.

Ps, I'm in the UK.

Thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
Does the job include tiling? If it does I would guess it's about a weeks work for one person to complete the job to a high standard.

I'm no plumber Iotrez, but I recently swapped a sink + wc at my house. It took approx one day. Add on the time it takes to swap over a bath (ie, drainage + pipework doesn't req. major work) it prob another 1/2 day?

If you're gonna tile the whole bathroom, it'll take another few days..........but if you're tiling around the bath + a splashback to the sink it can't take much more then another day can it? I presume you're putting lino down + not tiling the floor?

You're looking at approx 3 days if u assume a straight swap, limited tiling + lino flooring. You might have variables like removable of existing tiling, filling or plastering etc etc.

Sponsored Links
Hi, well I'm going to have a go at tiling it myself to reduce costs, so I will only have to pay for the suite to be installed.

I was thinking of tiling the floor as well as the walls.

Should the new suite be fitted and then the tiles cut to fit around the sink, bath etc? Or are you supposed to do the tiling first?

I've already removed the existing tiles and skirtings.

I've just know idea what sort of price I'm looking at to get this done. And I don't want to be overcharged.

Cheers.

Looks better if you tile first, esp the floor.
If it's really as simple as you make it sound, which would apply to about 2% of "straight swaps" you might get someone to do it for £200, more likely £350+ though, done well.

ChrisR said:
...you might get someone to do it for £200, more likely £350+ though, done well.

We've had a few quotes recently, all not including tiling.
They ranged from £280 up to £475 (inc VAT).
Mind you that includes swapping a shower.
I would say it should definitely be under £400 (inc VAT)

We're paying more than we want, but its the only way of getting a plumber to actually turn up round here...

Don't want to start a fight but you might be surprised to see what the costs of running a business add up to, and there are plenty of easier jobs than putting bathrooms in. My figures excluded any parts by the way.

Hope you get the job done well.

Thanks for the replies.

Well that doesn't sound too expensive. I'm wondering whether to have a go at installling the suite myself though because I really need to save as much money as possibe.

How difficult is it to do something like this? I've heard that its much easier to install a bathroom than it is to install a kitchen.

I've no experience but i'd use books and tutorials off the net etc to help me.

Cheers.

How difficult is it to do something like this?

Not the science of the moonly rockets. But be prepared to have to redo a few things. Ask lots of questions.

ChrisR said:
How difficult is it to do something like this?

Not the science of the moonly rockets. But be prepared to have to redo a few things. Ask lots of questions.

My next door neighbour is a rocket engineer (Arianne satellites), but he got a plumber in to fit his bathroom.

(True/True).

I'm getting someone in to do it so I can be guaranteed a professional finish.
The only time I've done silicon beading it didn't look good at all.

Wickes, Focus, B&Q etc do free leaflets inside the door on installing a bathroom.
DIY manuals also cover it well (I've got the Readers Digest manual).

Do you already have service valves on the pipes going to the sink etc?
If you do that makes it a bit easier as you can isolate one thing at a time.

Stripping the existing stuff out is easy enough. I fitted compression service valves from Wickes so I can leave the sink/toilet off and tile behind them.

If it was up to me I'd have a go and to hell with it!
However the missus would panic at the thought of me doing a plumbing job so its not worth the hassle I'd get ;)

Iotrez said:
Thanks for the replies.

Well that doesn't sound too expensive. I'm wondering whether to have a go at installling the suite myself though because I really need to save as much money as possibe.

How difficult is it to do something like this? I've heard that its much easier to install a bathroom than it is to install a kitchen.

I've no experience but i'd use books and tutorials off the net etc to help me.

Cheers.

i have just done this job as my first bit of plumbing. and it was easier than i expected. I used compression fittings, and flexible pipes to the taps so the parts were more expensive than using solder joints etc (but inly about £10 dearer).

took about 6 trips to screwfix though. everytime i started a job i realised i needed something else, or had the wrong size fittings. great job satisfaction though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back