cast iron bath removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched the site but can't find anything on how difficult it is to break up one of those 50s - 60s enamelled cast baths.

Do they break up? Can you use a 9" grinder on them?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Never mind breaking them up...with a sledgehammer..after covering bath with old dustsheet to stop flying enamel.......apprentices should be made to get them upstairs (with 2 other people) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Would it help any to use a grinder on the edge to make a notch - then put a cold chisel and lump hammer in the notch to start a crack?

Cover it with tarpaulin to catch most of the flying splinters (which are razor-sharp), put on your gloves and goggles (because the flying splinters are razor sharp) and hit it with your big hammer. When you carry the bits away wear your gloves, and as the edges will be razor sharp, they will cut through your clothes and legs with great ease.

Don't forget to put on your ear protectors. I said, ear protectors. EAR PROTECTORS. Didn't you hear me? EAR PROTECTORS.

pardon :?: Koff koff........what dust :rolleyes: health and what....efficiency?

I said "Don't forget to put on your ear protectors."

What's the matter with you, are you...

oh, sorry. :oops:

Is it best to hit the top edge or the side or where the taps are or the plug hole?

Has anyone actually cracked one up?

Yes.

If you biff the bottom near the plug hole it will break easily, and probably spread cracks around (it is very brittle) so you can break it into pieces that you can easily carry out to the skip.

I was not joking about the sharp edges.

The rim is the thickest part and hardest to break, leave that till last and probably cracks will have taken it apart anyway.

The ear defenders are because it will ring like a very big bell.

Put it tap end high, get inside it, use the taps as handles and put it on your back, and walk downstairs backwards. Bit of rope round it if you're a poof. Easy.

smashed mine up on friday night. Good job the neigbours were out....

Even with it in two bits it was a father and son lift!

Big hammer and ear defenders required. Cover any windows (including the two in the front of your head) as it goes everywhere. Make sure you have your Shredded Wheat in the morning too. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back