Vokera System shutdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up this morning and found the CH wasn't doing its thing. The hot water tank was going cold and this suggests the system failed during the night. VOKERA 12-48 RS Mynute. The gas pilot was still lit. But adjusting the temperature control on the front of the boiler didn't make it burst into life as expected. Have since shutdown the whole kit (timers etc) and re-ignited the gas. When putting the electrics back on the gas bursts into full heat. The Unit then begins to knock and rattle a bit and then the gas gets extinguished. The water pressure is OK. I would like to know if this system needs a major overhaul or if its now past it and should get replaced
Cheers :confused:

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you have never bothered to get it serviced!

This is quite an adequate little boiler although its getting towards 10 years old but should last a few more years if you get it serviced ocasionally!

It sounds as if the pump has failed!

Tony

I've recently been to quote for 3 different "boiler replacements" where the story was much like yours. Boiler stops, owner's anxiety is reinforced by a tooth-sucking plumber who's looking for a quick profit.
Thus the boiler is condemned and the owner is wondering about the £2000 - £2500 quotes.

One just needed putting together properly, one just needed a nut tightening to stop it leaking, and the third needed, as yours may well, a new pump.

See if it's running. You should hear it if you change speeds, or you remove the central end screwand poke a screwdriver in. Rotating the shaft may get it going. If centre has an octagonal plastic nut unscrew it and pull sllightly to engage it with the shaft.

:cry: Yeah the servicing hasn't been regular. I've taken the casing off and had a look at the various accessible parts. The pump does indeed seem to be the culprit going by the noises made. ChrisR you said "See if it's running. You should hear it if you change speeds, or you remove the central end screw and poke a screwdriver in. Rotating the shaft may get it going. If centre has an octagonal plastic nut unscrew it and pull slightly to engage it with the shaft."
Changing speeds? Can't see an adjustment on the pump for that. Its a french model GRUNDFOS. The centre has what looks like a steel screwhead with a shallow slot but I can't seem to get this to move. Does the front panel have to come off for this? Thanks in advance for any further postings. So far you've given me hope that it can be resurrected.

Sponsored Links
Had a wee rummage at the pump loosening the slotted screwhead and water started to trickle out. I retightened it and went through the startup routine I'd been using; this time the gas ignited OK and after I put the heating and hot water settings to ON constantly it stayed lit and HEY PRESTO ! :eek: its back in business. Been enjoying full hot water and heating ever since. On a cautionary note, I do have a service booked for Wed morning.

Thanks again folks
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back