woodchip on ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was it always done to hide poorly finished ceilings? Or did people actually enjoy the horrible finish of woodchip? :LOL:

I have it on the bedroom ceiling, well masked by many many layers of white emulsion. It also goes down to the picture rail, which I am planning to remove (it, too, is well masked by many layers of gloss).

The thing is, around the edges of the ceiling (where it meets the wall) there are a few cracks appearing, maybe 1mm across, not normally anything to worry about, but does this mean the ceiling is probably in a bad way?

The house was built in the 50's and the ceiling is plasterboard. Would it be worth skimming the ceiling if its in a bad condition, or would a new ceiling be a wiser choice?

not sure if this belonged in decorating or building. :?:

Sponsored Links
Would it not be easiest to caulk around the wall/ceiling join? Have similar gaps in a 60's semi and I just put it down to middle age!

I perhaps should have mentioned, we took the woodchip down in the room below this one, and you can see the cracks between the plasterboard sheets - would a skim get rid of these? or does it indicate a bigger problem (ceiling not done right to start with?) The house was built without the aid of plumb bobs, spirit levels and checking for square, so nothing will shock me. ;)

and I do want to remove the woodchip in this room. Any tips to make it easier? I'm thinking the layers of paint will make it come down in big clumps! :LOL:

removed loads of wood chip last week and it did come off in clumps, sheets! :)

used a steamer to loosen off a corner and then slowly pull the paper off by hand as much as possible. rest remoed by steaming the walls clean

Sponsored Links
If your really lucky and the paper has been up since the pope was an alter boy, then you can scrape a bit, and the whole length comes away, its marvelous when it does that. :D

I don't know whether it is just luck but I've started removing woodchip from the walls in my place and it is coming off really easy. It might be that it wasn't painted over that many times. I started picking at a loose corner and manged to remove about two-thirds of it without use of water or a steamer, it just came off in massive strips! The rest came off easily with a steamer and a bit of scoring with a stanley knife.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back