General Bathroom tiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, new to DIY and just about to embark on my first tiling 'project'.

Doing up bathroom and just wanted to clarify...

The bath goes in before tiling, correct...?
The toilet goes in after tiling, correct...?
The radiator goes in after tiling, correct...?
The non electric powershower goes in before tiling, correct...?
Wall units go on after tiling, correct...?
Mirrors (s) go on before tiling, depends on the type...?

Hope you can shed a little light and any further hints and tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Richard

:?:

Sponsored Links
babyara said:
The bath goes in before tiling, correct...? yes
The toilet goes in after tiling, correct...? yes
The radiator goes in after tiling, correct...? yes
The non electric powershower goes in before tiling, correct...? yes assuming builtin valve and separate pump
Wall units go on after tiling, correct...? yes
Mirrors (s) go on before tiling, depends on the type...? I usually fit after tiling but before grouting if they are flush with tile or after if surface mounted

Jason

Thanks for the reponse Jason.

A couple of other things if I may.

There was some settlement to the property many years ago which, according to the surveyor was not serious and will not more further. That said, this has left one of the walls with what I can only describe as a convex 'bow' protrusion. Is it OK to tile over this? Downing the wall and starting again would be completely unnecessary but is it OK to tile over this 'bump' and although not aesthetically ideal, will this present problems when trying to sell the property.

Additionally, do I start with the tile against the skirting boards or with a gap above containing the grout?

Richard :confused:

Depends how big your bump is, you may be able to loose it with the tile adhesive or if its a lot then getting the walls replastered may be required.

Skirting boards & architraves are seldom level/plumb so are not a good line to start tiling from. Work out a layout that gives equal cuts top& bottom of the wall and set a batten where the lowest joint comes, tile up from this then remove the batten and tile the bottom row of cuts. If you are also tiling the floor it looks a lot better if the skirting is removed.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Again Top advice off Jase ,:)
but I wouldnt plaster bow if its a bump , sand it back too level an get a straight edge/batten to sort it , tile over ;)

btw

powershower , point and separate pump , depends what Plumber advices ..for maintenance /repair (as we all know how pumps can be a baitch !)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back