Sealed CH System - expansion vessel required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been doing some work on the central heating system (moving/adding radiators), and have noticed that the system does not have an expansion vessel attached. It's a sealed system boiler, with a gravity fed hot storage tank (vented). My question is whether an expansion vessel should be fitted to such a system, and if so, where abouts it should be located? I did a test on the system by pressurising to 1 bar at cold, and checking what pressure it went up to at hot temperature - pressure went to near 2 bar.

cheers

Sponsored Links
there maybe an expansion vessel within the boiler casing, or have you already looked ?

what boiler is it?

What model is the boiler are you sure the expansion vessel is not built into the unit.
Is there a pressure display gauge?
Pete

what boiler is it

most sealed system boiler have an inbuilt ex vess

Sponsored Links
it's an old glowworm hideway unit - balanced flue model I think. no expansion vessel in there that I can see - unless it's hidden inside the unit where the burner is. The casing easily clips off from the front, and has a space where you could put the pump if you so desired.

does that clarify things a bit? cheers

I am not sure that the hideaway has an over heat stat!!!!!!!!!!

but it should have an external expansion vessel

In the loft, there is a filling loop connected, which has a guage on it. I think it was converted from an old system as I don't see why the pipes would come into the loft if there is no rad there. The tank is on the first floor (in the airing cupboard) as well as the pump, and mid position valve.

If I have to fit one, wheres the best place to 'cut in' ?

there must be something or the pressure would be higher then 2 when hot

actually, now that you come to mention it - there is a pipe coming off the hot feed (to taps) that has something like an air vent or similar stuck on it. The 22mm pipe just has that on the end and nothing else - is that the failsafe? cheers

Try looking on the outside of the building for a pipe from the PRV, if you trace it back to the PRV then you wont be far from the expansion vessel.

Am I missing the point here. (probably) But if the DHW cylinder is vented to atmosphere then the system cant be sealed. Old fashioned maybe, but not sealed.

Probably a dumb comment and feel free to ridicule me if I have missed something totally obvious.

Birmingham_Spanner said:
Am I missing the point here. (probably) But if the DHW cylinder is vented to atmosphere then the system cant be sealed. Old fashioned maybe, but not sealed.

Probably a dumb comment and feel free to ridicule me if I have missed something totally obvious.

I think he is talking about the boiler etc brumm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back