Redundent Raidal for eletric cooker, can I wire in f/f d/w?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to install a new kitchen. The new kitchen requires a lot of the existing sockets to be moved to new locations.
The current wiring in the kitchen consist of a ring mains for the entire downstairs and a separate radial circuit for an electric cooker.
Now, the cooker that we are buying as part of the new kitchen is gas, so in theory we do not require to have the cooker radial circuit. (Yes we do have a gas supply in the kitchen)
I was thinking of using the radial circuit to power the fridge, freezer and the washing machine, thus taking the load of the downstairs ring mains.
If I were to do this I would have to change the circuit breaker in the cu and then replace the current cooker switch and extend the radial with 2.5mm Twin & Earth to 3 single sockets. Does this sound good and safe?

Sponsored Links
What size MCB is it at present? If its 30A/32A with 4mm² min twin and earth then you can leave this in place and continue to wire the sockets radially with min 4mm² twin and earth. Are any of the sockets likely to be used to supply portable equipment outdoors?

Thanks for the reply, the MCB is 30A. Why wouild i have to use 4mm wire and not 2.5mm that is used in the ring main?

emilne82 said:
Thanks for the reply, the MCB is 30A. Why wouild i have to use 4mm wire and not 2.5mm that is used in the ring main?
2.5mm² is rated at 27 amps MAXIMUM. its rating often drops to as low as 20 amps. So we dont put it on a 30A fuse unless its in a ring!

Sponsored Links
(Because the ring [I grossly oversimplify here] may be 32A, but like total traffic flow on the M25, it has 16A going clockwise and 16A going anticlockwise round the ring, so each length of 2.5mm cable isn't required to carry 32A)

I hope your ring final circuits are nothing like the M25 john,

'Overloaded', too many 'spurs', and the 'high resistance connection' of the dartford tunnel...

:LOL:

I would continue the circuit as a 32A radial in the same size cable as exists already, assuming a minimum of 4mm2.

Okay, So if I were to do this at the weekend I could use a minimum of 4mm cable connecting to the following;
2 double sockets to power fridge, seperte freezer, cooker sparker and washing machine. The end of the radial shall terminate with a single socket (possibly fcu) to power the extractor fan for the cooker.

All of the cables will be run inside ducting within the wall and plasterover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back